HybridZ

My new headlights

gb20

Not quite the projection lights often drooled over, but much better than what I started with. These are the h4 lights from datsunrestore.com (about $80). The light coming out of these is much whiter as you can see in the pics. Just did one today so I could get you guys the comparison shot.

new_light.jpg

on.jpg

Money shot!:mrgreen:

light_comparison.jpg

The new one is the driver side, in case you were'nt sure.:wink:

redfive, h4 globes are basically the standard used in cars in the early 90's, so its still one hell of an upgrade, and you could put a HID kit in it if u wanted to blind the hell out of everyone!

i semi agree with AK-Z, but its hard to judge by the pic as to what colour bulbs you have with white balance doing its thing etc. with H4's the brightest are still a yellow colour, then the more blue you go to the less light they put out. i know quite a few people who have bought the $100+ phillips diamond vision type bulbs and say they can't see crap at night, but atleast normal bulbs are cheap if you choose to change to them

Haven't had a chance to check them out from a distance yet, but with both bulbs in, they are still yellowish. Still so much better than stock. How would I go about doing the HID, and how much should I expect to pay for it?

i am no expert on the subject, although IMHO you would be best to install proper HID projectors. this is based on the amount of "glare" that is visible above the brightest spot in the pic you took of the output. Putting a HID kit into this headlight would not only make those spots brighter and hence blind on comming traffic more, but it would possibly make it worse as the bulbs are longer so more light reflects off surfaces it shouldn't be. you'll also most likely find that the bright spots just get brighter, so your eyes still have the same difficultly in seeing, if not more

if you mounted projectors behind your headlights, like what i've done, as the front of them are not clear glass, a fair bit of light would be dropped by this, however for use with the lights it was designed to be used with it would help spread the light better. so its up to you whether you want to buy a HID kit, personally i think they are a waste of money compared to OEM parts second hand

i have 550watt hella driving lights which are angled to slightly overlap and shine past where the cutoff on my hid's are, at which point the hid's are still brighter, not bad for 35watts lol, however if i wanted HID highbeams i'd be best off getting bi-xenons which just remove the peice of metal thats there to block off this light. and if i wanted the beams wider i'd have to mount the projectors further foward as the sugar scoops or whatever you want to call them get in the way. so the ultimate lights for our cars really are the ones 280zforce has :D yep, dam that bastard!

hope this helps, for now i'd just enjoy being able to see heaps better than sealed beams let you! hid's are nice, not sure if htey are neccasary, but i love mine

Went for a short drive last night and these lights are much better. I could see much further than before. If you want a decent upgrade on the candle lights that are in these cars, go with these. They are inexpensive, easy to install, and did I mention I could see the road.

• 3 weeks later...

I got these on my Z last year and they work great. Another good idea is to upgrade the wire harness. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=AMC%2D509102&N=700+311187+115&autoview=sku This one from summit is what I got.

I like the H4's over HID because HID require the correct headlight bucket design to keep them from blinding oncomming drivers.

any bright light requires that they aren't aimed up in peoples eyes, hence y ur not allowed to drive around with high beams on? h4's also require the correct headlights to work? as in u can't just use ur sealed beam lights? same goes for hid...well i guess u could cut up a sealed beam light?

the zed headlight buckets do limit how wide the lights can be however, like my lights only project solid light to everywhere i can see foward through the front window, not much out the passenger window, mine are pretty crap compared to some otheres which are real wide...but it'd b pointless in the zed anyway as there woudlnt b lots of overlap due to the buckets. sorry talking in circles, tired lol.

as long as ur happy with the amount u can see when ur driving at night, thats all that matters, i went with a drive with my x the other night who thought my headlights were the biggest waste of money ever, but while going fast down roads where u could hardly see anything she told me i should get some better ones that have high beam also as my 550watt driving lights weren't cutting it lol

ed260z,

How was the install on that harness? Would upgrading the harness improve the brightness?

The stock Z runs power to the headlights through the switch. And with 30+ yr old wiring the power reaching the lights is reduced. (There is a write up that goes into more detail about this in the forum.) By using the relays you route the power directly from the batt to the lights, and remove the stress from the switch.

It will improve your brightness if you are not getting full voltage to your lights.