HybridZ

new air dam finished & installed

b__sosick

this is my first paint experience so brace yourself.

:flamedevi

this is jaymar's (cleton-z- 5.3-T 280z) old air dam.

here's pretty much what I started with. it was silver/gray.

sanded it pretty good. there was only a couple rough spots but I smoothed it over pretty well.

DSC01786.jpg

DSC01787.jpg

DSC01788.jpg

went at it with a can of black rattle can primer. i got one of these things so it was actually pretty easy and didn't hurt my fingers as much as holding the can normally would.

3322.jpg

DSC01791.jpg

DSC01792.jpg

after a few lightish coats of primer, i took a couple of cans of "auto black exterior paint"

DSC01794.jpg

not sure what caused that little discrepancy. so i painted over it of course

DSC01796.jpg

then i used a can of clear coat on it. i did maybe 3 to 5 really light coats.

here's the finished product! i'm pretty happy with it.

i'm just sketched out on the mounting..there's only a couple screws holding it in right now! i'll have to drill more places for it to hold to stronger.

DSC01888.jpg

DSC01889.jpg

DSC01890.jpg

in a little while that unsightly air filter will be replaced with an intercooler of course.

what do you guys think?

Thanks Brandon! I'm thinking of doing a photoshop of it all smoothed out just to see if it will look like I think it will. I really like your car now that I see it all big and not compressed into your avatar...Do you have any pics with the door closed that are big? Also, you have a line on an Intercooler yet? Turbo Civic guy and Turbo Saturn guy at my job both just upgraded to bigger cores, and I might be able to convince them to let one or the other of them go...you want me to ask them for you?

This picture is all the business:

DSC01891.jpg

I love the look of the front end, especially the way the hood looks from front to back--nice! Airdam looks right at home with the "smooth" look--a good compliment to the car. This is certainly one of the meaner looking 280ZXs I have seen :2thumbs:

Davy

looks pretty nice...the thing about spraying it with the can is eventually it will start to chip real quick.. i did one can of black and 2 cans of clear on my bumper, the coat was so thick, it still chipped when little rocks or hard bugs fly through!

This picture is all the business:

I love the look of the front end, especially the way the hood looks from front to back--nice! Airdam looks right at home with the "smooth" look--a good compliment to the car. This is certainly one of the meaner looking 280ZXs I have seen :2thumbs:

Davy

wow how did i miss this post? thanks a LOT, davy!

Thanks Brandon! I'm thinking of doing a photoshop of it all smoothed out just to see if it will look like I think it will. I really like your car now that I see it all big and not compressed into your avatar...Do you have any pics with the door closed that are big? Also, you have a line on an Intercooler yet? Turbo Civic guy and Turbo Saturn guy at my job both just upgraded to bigger cores, and I might be able to convince them to let one or the other of them go...you want me to ask them for you?

crap man i'm slackin i missed this post too.

I actually have an aftermarket supra intercooler, just haven't plumbed it and all. i have the 60mm Tb spacer kit from pallnet, and am planning to do the intercooler, new greddy type s BOV (also in garage), and 60mm TB all at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Brandon, were you really driving around with only one bucket cover like in that last picture you posted? Like a Pirate...Oh, you missed out on the intercooler deal, I snagged Turbo Saturn Guy's old one for $20. It's pretty beat up, and had some squished fins that I needed to straighten out, but it was holding up to his car at 350whp like that. It's a bit longer and skinnier than my Pulsar GTi-R unit, so I think I'll be able to fit it alongside the spark plug half of my engine instead of straddling the valve cover like I originally planned. I think I'll draw a concept picture and post it to the S30 drawing thread...