HybridZ

Making a new grill with 15$ worth of metal

Yorgee

So I finally got my grill mounted on my car. I started working on it during sprink break and then couldn't find the time to work on it as I was going to school. But it's mounted and I think it looks pretty good, except for the fact that it is a little hard to see. I'm probably going to respray it flat black to make it a dull color, because it might better contrast against the radiator and everything behind it.

O ya, Turbomeister, I was wondering if you could send me a picture of your inverted horns, I tried doing that but they dont seem to fit right.

100_30d49.jpg

Hmm, not sure about silver although that would definitly make it stand out but I am considering getting it powder coated. I found a place near my house I just have to check it out. I'll probably get some valve covers power coated.

My friend just bought a powdercoater from Eastwood so I have a feeling well be powdercoating anything I can get my hands on.

I have to say the grill looks really good!! At first I was a little sceptical about if it would look good, I thought It might look like a barbq grill, but It looks like something youd buy for the car. Really nice.

Now that I see it finished I want to make myself one.

Suggestion: Find some Dark Bronze colored spray paint rather than flat black. Dark Bronze is the color anodizing used in most "black" sliding glass doors, and aluminum screen doors and enclosures... Its like a dark grey with a hint of brownish gold added, darkening it even more. Its almost the color the grilles and metal sideview mirrors were painted originally.

Thanks Doughnut, and Daeron, didn't see any dark bronze color spray paint where I usualy purchase the paint I get but now you got me wanting something like that. I guess for now I'll have to settle for black and I'll think about changing it later.

• 2 weeks later...

Yorgee,

That thing turned out nice!

I rember that like 5 minutes after I sold my original that I wish I hadn't just in case. Yours has me considering trying the same thing.

On the burgers, you could hinge the bottom and use your spare to hold the coals. That might win you something at the next car show :) lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I like it, It's got that Mad Max thing going on. I too hated my stock grill and since I have a 2 peice bumper (got hit the first week I owned the car) I wanted a grill that filled the front end up. SOOOOO... After getting hit by a Mazda B2000 (some punk not paying attention, I figured I'd take his $800 and do something for the car.

I bought a brand new Hood out of LA CA, and then I went to the Metal Supplier down the road. I bought $40 worth of Aluminum 1/8" X 3/4" slat.

And an 8' peice of "C" channel, similar to the C-channel used in the stock grills.

Here's what I came up with, hope you like it. Open for Opinions.

Dave.

DSC04144_thumb.JPG

DSC test fit_thumb.JPG

DSC04160_thumb.JPG

DSC04180_thumb.JPG

DSC04204_thumb.JPG

new grill all done 3 (Large)_thumb.JPG

DSC04229 (Large)_thumb.JPG

DSC04554 (Large)_thumb.JPG

DSC04562 (Large)_thumb.JPG

DSC04557 (Large)_thumb.JPG

I like it, It's got that Mad Max thing going on. I too hated my stock grill and since I have a 2 peice bumper (got hit the first week I owned the car) I wanted a grill that filled the front end up. SOOOOO... After getting hit by a Mazda B2000 (some punk not paying attention, I figured I'd take his $800 and do something for the car.

I bought a brand new Hood out of LA CA, and then I went to the Metal Supplier down the road. I bought $40 worth of Aluminum 1/8" X 3/4" slat.

And an 8' peice of "C" channel, similar to the C-channel used in the stock grills.

Here's what I came up with, hope you like it. Open for Opinions.

Dave.

Great job on the grill! it looks great. :cheers: