HybridZ

Making a new grill with 15$ worth of metal

Yorgee

I've always thought the stock grill on the 240z with my front air dam was too short. I wanted it to extend all the way down passed the front bumper. So I decided to buy some metal. Two 20 foot long 1/4 inch (square) rods at what I thought was a pretty cheap price of only 15$. Here are some pictures of what I've come up with. I have most of it done but I ran out of weld and daylight. Still have to add 2 more rows to the bottom, some mounting brakets and then do some final trimming and grinding to even things out.

Compared to the original.

100_2707.jpg

100_2705.jpg

100_2708.jpg

Looks great youll have to sandblast it then powdercoat it.

Im hoping to take 2nd semester metals next year so Ill have access to a computerized plasma cutter. Im gonna try to make a grill like that but with about 1/8 inch steel plate pieces that have slots so they can slide together and then be welded up.

The new grill is going to mount on the same mounts as the original. I'm just going to push the grill forward a little with some spacers so that its almost touching the bumper. Then if all goes well, the bumper will end almost touching my front air dam so you won't be able to see the horns and the harness as much as you could now. Just picture the grill extended all the way down.

HPIM1120.jpg

Cool! Does it weigh much more than the orginal or are they close?

Yeahhh, that's one thing I noticed as I was welding on each bar. It's definitly going to wiegh more than the original when it's done. The orignal is made with a very thin metal. But the one I'm making is going to be very durable.

I think you are doing a great job on the grill. The original grills are light weight but very easily damaged. This grill you are making is what we need, looks similar to the original, but strong and durable. I think it will look great when you done. Good Luck!

thanks Jbk, Here's the semi finished product without any of the brakets. I also played around with several positions of where the grill was going to go, hooked it up with some zip ties, and I think it is going to look sweet. I may have to do a little cutting though. The center braket where the old grill went is blocking the bottom of the grill I made. I think I'm just going to cut that one off and move it back. That will allow me to lean the grill just right, and even out the line from the hood and the top of the grill.

100_2715.jpg

100_2717.jpg

100_2718.jpg

hmm, I did drop my car, would the horns be too low? I have a bunch of speed bumps in my community.

I bent the horn flanges up so that the lowest point of the horns is higher than the lowest point of the airdam. The flanges are easily bent and stay in the bent position. I even like the sound of the horns better in this position but not as much as the sound of the turbos.