HybridZ

my zx is getting shaved

rdsk8ter

ok here are the pictures as promised not 100% yet but close

first one shows top side view

PIC_0071.jpg

second is rear looking forward (my buddy decided it would be funny to show how much he loves the zx)

PIC_0072.jpg

third is the recessed plate holder to match the front

PIC_0073.jpg

and last is the tire viewing back( no comments on the crappy tire its only on there to roll the thing around)

PIC_0074.jpg

Why did you use duct tape? Looks to me like it'd be a bitch to get off instead of painters tape or paper tape with foil stretched.

actually it is really easy to get it off i havent had a single issue doing it this way and it holds itself great.

as far as the process what im doing it i make a mold of styrofoam(i cant spell so yea sorry if thats wrong) glues to the body.shave it to the shape you want with saws knifes sander etc etc. then cover the whole thing in duct tape. the reason you have to cover it is that the fiberglass will melt it and turn into a big blob of brown nastyness if you dont. next fiberglass a layer or two depending on how big the area is. let it dry or force it dry with a heat gun. then peel it off the remaining section gives you a mold you put your supports on then glass it on

actually it is really easy to get it off i havent had a single issue doing it this way and it holds itself great.

as far as the process what im doing it i make a mold of styrofoam(i cant spell so yea sorry if thats wrong) glues to the body.shave it to the shape you want with saws knifes sander etc etc. then cover the whole thing in duct tape. the reason you have to cover it is that the fiberglass will melt and turn into a big blob of brown nastyness if you dont. next fiberglass a layer or two depending on how big the area is. let it dry or force it dry with a heat gun. then peel it off the remaining section gives you a mold you put your supports on then glass it on

by fiberglass do you mean styrofoam?

• 5 months later...

as far as the process what im doing it i make a mold of styrofoam(i cant spell so yea sorry if thats wrong) glues to the body.shave it to the shape you want with saws knifes sander etc etc. then cover the whole thing in duct tape. the reason you have to cover it is that the fiberglass will melt it and turn into a big blob of brown nastyness if you dont. next fiberglass a layer or two depending on how big the area is. let it dry or force it dry with a heat gun. then peel it off the remaining section gives you a mold you put your supports on then glass it on

SO how did itwork i don't see any finished pics

I am trying to do a shave and don't know how to proceed

bob

Try painting the foam with ordinary cheap latex paint before you lay the glass down. It works great! Also you can get foam board 2lb or 4lb density very cheap and it wont melt at all. I buy it from a local fiberglass shop in 4x8 sheets 2inches thick for 18 bucks.It shaves alot easier also. you can sand and contour the stuff like bondo, only easier. Its just like the pour foam that you buy in two parts and mix together, only it comes in block form. I believe its called "closed cell foam". I've sprayed thinner directly on the stuff and it had no effect.

Try painting the foam with ordinary cheap latex paint before you lay the glass down. It works great! Also you can get foam board 2lb or 4lb density very cheap and it wont melt at all. I buy it from a local fiberglass shop in 4x8 sheets 2inches thick for 18 bucks.It shaves alot easier also. you can sand and contour the stuff like bondo, only easier. Its just like the pour foam that you buy in two parts and mix together, only it comes in block form. I believe its called "closed cell foam". I've sprayed thinner directly on the stuff and it had no effect.

ill have to try that thanks alot