HybridZ

Hyundai Excel Markers...

capt_furious

Greetings! First post. I'm a friend of auxilary and DavyZ. I bought Mike Dennis' white 260 in 2004.

The car is essentially how I bought it still, with exception to parts from both aux's and DavyZ's cars. They've both bailed me out numerous times when my irresponsibility / neglect lead to eventual failure. Excellent friends to have. :mrgreen:

I forget who I heard it from but Hyundai Excel side markers supposedly are good replacements for stock Z markers(and a search here shows that a few of you have done it)...so I grabbed a set while in the junkyard today.

They're wider than the Z markers. Which means I'm going to have to do some cutting...I figure it's going to be a quick Dremel job & re-drill, unless there's a better way to go about it. I'd rather not cut into stock panels, but it's rather trivial in the big scheme. I'd just like to do it right.

So, sugestions?

I've heard of this conversion, but never actually looked at it to see what the finished product looks like...I have been giving some serious thought to picking up some Saturn Sky side marker lights, they are as flush as you are going to get:

2060411.010.1M.jpg

See them right in front of the front wheel? I think it would go well with my new fascia...

I've heard of this conversion, but never actually looked at it to see what the finished product looks like...I have been giving some serious thought to picking up some Saturn Sky side marker lights, they are as flush as you are going to get:

2060411.010.1M.jpg

See them right in front of the front wheel? I think it would go well with my new fascia...

Think you could get us a pic of these lights?

I think I remember reading a write up on this mod. The members name was BLKMGK I think. I don't think you have to do any cutting, the marker fits in the same hole. Just mount the light with the original hole at the front and drill a new hole for the other screw. It's been a while since I red that post and I can't seem to find in now. Hope that helps.

Think you could get us a pic of these lights?

I had a pic there, but I guess the link was broken...let me dig one up for you...

*edit* here is the picture, I just hosted it myself on photobucket:

skylight.jpg

the best part about these is that working at a saturn parts department gives me easier access to these than some others.

AJ, welcome to the forum. :D

I have those Hyundai signals on my car. The install only requires drilling one or two small holes for the screws. There is no "cutting" or Dremel work required at all. In fact, it's one of the simplest and straightforward conversions there is. Again, my car has them installed already. They sit flush and look "factory" without looking "stock." Just my $02.

Davy

A direct link:

http://i.pbase.com/u39/baracu/large/25639763.808DCP_0337.jpg

If you've viewed it once, your browser will pull it from cache and show it.

I pulled the Hyundai rear pigtail connections and bulb fittings for all four units(more than one car in the yard). The front markers have a plug and pin setup that's hard to get out(putting it mildly...I was yanking on them like a madman). The rears on the Zs are a direct plug in, looks as if the fronts will be a cut-and-solder job, unless there are pigtails hiding under the shrink wrap in the harness.

The stock Z units are nice and bright due to a large bulb and metal reflector. They'll cast quite a bit of light on the median wall when in the fast lane. The Hyundai units, on the other hand, have a small bulb and a black plastic housing. Can't imagine they're very bright. Davy, do you notice a significant difference with them?

This is what the Hyundai side markers look like. Note, this is on a ZX. The flash on the markers makes them look kinda wierd, but if you notice the pic with the headlight in it, you can see how thin they really are.

Markers.jpg

I like these! Seems like this is what I'm looking for.

What about some off a late model Jetta seems like they are similar but, a little smaller. I'll have to see if i can find a pic of some.

• 7 months later...

Finally got them installed. Did it in 20 minutes, needed a drill and one bit, managed to use the stock body clips and screws. Came out VERY clean. The car needs a bath, and then I'll get some photos.

I also visited the junkyard yesterday and picked up another 7 markers(one of the fronts was busted on a donor car, otherwise I'd have 8). I shaved the DOT lettering off of mine and wet sanded / polished them, I'm thinking of doing this to the ones I got yesterday, putting together an instruction sheet, adding some pigtail connectors and selling them as a kit. Obviously, I'd have to make repeat visits and pick up more.

Anyone interested in one full set, ready to go?