HybridZ

fuel wows...i think (pics)

caszboy

When i drive around town, the car will stall when I'm cruising at a constant speed or after hard acceleration. If i just wait for 30-45 sec it will start back up like nothing happened.

The previous owner disconnected the mechanical fuel pump and installed a electric fuel pump with a range of 2.5-4 psi.

2598780_9_full.jpg

I'm currently waiting for the filter to dry out to see if there is rust build-up in there. the previous owner told me that he was driving on a road trip once and the car stalled. he changed the filter (pictured) and no problems since.

2598780_8_full.jpg

Is there a screen or anything in the pump to clean? I'm going to replace the filter and reinstall both and then test the fuel pressure. is there anything else that could get clogged? any filters in the tank? or anything?

i know i need to get the tank boiled but I'm poor! ;p so that will be in a month or two.

there are methods to cleaning a tank that require no boiling at all. you can use conventional cleaners and just wish and wash it in there and really work at it.. if you have a long reach brush you can try and loosen some of the surface rust too.

the pump on my car is in the right-rear wheel well, and in order to clean the filter, i had to open it up and take the small white filter sock out.

but I think that electric fuel pump is probably too high of a pressure rating or flows too much for your carb setup (assuming you have one). so it's probably not the same part number.

if it is, make sure you do it over a table with a cloth, so that you catch any liquids and any small parts that like to roll out of the pump.

AND, make sure you do it during a time when the stores will be open for a while, so that you can get new o-ring seals for the pump. they wont be the same shape as the Nissan teardrop o-rings, but i tried finding those from nissan and I couldnt, so i went with some fatter and smaller diameter o rings that stretched and tightened down to fit.

you will also want to replace the bolts with standard hex head bolts of the same thread pitch and length (or a tad shorter, but not longer) instead of using the factory head-cap allen bolts. you can torque the pump on a tad tighter (which might be needed in the advent of buying new o-ring seals).

My car couldnt start for 25 years (says the owner), so that's what I did (total of 4.00 CDN dollars) and it started right up with new fuel =)

My Haynes manual states that...

"the supplementary electric fuel pump was fitted to the 260z. At engine speeds above 400 rev/min (cranking) both the electric and mechanical pumps are in operation."

the mechanical fuel pump is not hooked up at all. should i hook it back up? or is the electric fuel pump enough?

i have the downdraft duel webers. what should the fuel PSI be ideally at the carbs?

For around $50 you can pick up a new electric pump and a couple clear fram filters to sort the whole mess out for good. AFAIK, that is not the stock pump. As I recall, the electric pump on my 260Z was kinda bulky and made mostly out of plastic...

Im going to rework the fuel system with all new stuff and boil my tank. im just trying to limp along for now. im a poor, broke college student :cry:

i was searching and found this thread by Tekira. Its using the drain plug as a fuel out to the pump. I hope you dont mind me quoting your thread...

When i said 90 degree 5/16 fitting i meant the NPT was 5/16 the thread size is 1/4. Its easier to find a 1/4 thread to a 3/8 NPT 90 degree which also works. The drain plug has 1/4 size threads so no tapping just screws right in! And yes you would want to use a fuel filter before the pump for obvious reasons. The plug is located (if u are looking at the rear of the car) front right bottom of the tank so its very easy to put in with out dropping tank. And just run a fuel line straight from the new NPT to a filter then to your pump. AND MAKE SURE U BLOCK OFF YOUR OLD SEND PORT ON THE TANK!!! I forgot and gas came out!!! Just take a 5/16 fuel line and insert a 5/16 or 1/4 blocking cap and clamp in down. Ill take a pic of it to show u my installation. Good Luck!!!

anybody else try this? it would open up the line considerably and simplify it from the tank to pump. any thoughts?

well, here is a update...

i changed the filter before the pump and let the old one dry. when i tapped the old filter on a piece of wood, rust fell out. I'm figuring out how to afford the tank treatment now. i was told to take it to a radiator shop. so for now, i'm going to let it sit. i have ordered a new muffler also. So i'm going to do everything at once including taking off the rear bumper! every time i walk by it my pants rub on it and i get black marks from the old rubber bumpers.

thanks for the help everyone! i just have to see where this takes me :)

Don't use a hand grenade to kill flys. While it can't hurt to clean out the tank, just try replacing your filter and see if that clears things up. Run a tank or two of gasahol through there also. The alcohol makes a pretty good solvent. You may have to replace the filter 2 or 3 times before all the crud is cycled through.

If you do pull the tank, get yourself a couple cups of gravel, then pour it in the tank with some Castrol purple degreaser, slosh the gravel all around in the tank for a few minutes, then wash it all out and let dry.... I did this before using the "Gas Tank Re New" kit to seal up the tank.

ok, on Tuesday im going to drop the tank and see if i can get some crud out of there. i just replaced the filter and it helped for about two days. It died twice today at lights. i had to sit there while traffic is flying by at 45mph hoping not to get rear ended. waited for about 1 minute for the fuel pump got some fuel back in the lines and she fired right up.

i bought extra filters while i was at Autozone. im going to try the Marine Clean thing and see what happens. I will keep you guys posted on how well it works.

I'm a fan of the por15. At least do the 2nd stage of the treatment where it converts the rust to zinc using what they call Metal Magic. Wether you actually Use the Sealant in the 3rd stage is up to you. Do a few more searches on Por-15 on this site and you'll get quite a few hits to come up. You can go to their website and just order it there as well. It will ease your fuel whoa's

I would check the carbs too, as they probly have some crap in them now, if the filter is full of rust!! I'd say the tank is full of scale and rust, and you're gona have to address that.. I did mine in the back yard over the corse of 2 days. Droping the tank is not really a big deal.. I think I used half a jug of varsol and sloshed it around for a while, then washed it out really good with the garden hose. Let it sit in the sun for an afternoon, and re-installed. At the same time, I instaled a generic '2-3 psi inline pump' (I think it's an aux. pump for 80's chev trucks, ment to be instaled on the frame rail) and havn't had a problem in 2 years. Have to change the filter evry once in a while, but that's just normal maintinence.

ok, here is an update on my tank. i removed the tank and this is what i have found...

this is the gas that came out of the bottom. And yes that seed came out of the gas tank!

2598780_12_full.jpg

where did the spring and pice of whatever come from? im guessing my gas float thing (cant remember what its called as this moment)

2598780_13_full.jpg

2598780_14_full.jpg

do yall still think i should try and clean it myself? or get it professionally done? i couldn't see on the other side of the slosh wall to get a photo of that.

Well, I just called a place around here and they gave me an estimate of $275-350. That’s basically a new fuel cell with all the goodies. So I’m not getting it professionally done.

-So-

I’m going to run up to pepboys/advance auto and see what I can come up with. I think I’m going to go the POR-15 route if I can find it locally. Otherwise just scrub the heck out of it with marine clean.

I’m going to blow the pump line out with air then put something the same size down in the tube just to prevent anything from getting up there while I’m sloshing stuff around. Or I might make the drain plug the new line to the fuel pump. This would make the line bigger and less likely to clog. I would rather it clog the filter since that is easily replaced but this method would also expose the fuel line more as well. Hmmmm……

While I’m at it, I might and try to simplify the venting and eliminate the vent box. It just seems like such a waste of engineering. Plus, some of the hoses are kinked and have prevented me from filling the gas tank all the way anyways. I will have to do some more research with that.

And one last thing...What do the metal spring and piece of metal belong to?????

I will keep you guys updated. Thanks for the input :) I don’t know what I would do without Zcar.com and Hybridz.org!