HybridZ

N1 oil pump

mannyvig

First off don't get mad at me for asking this. I did a search and never really found a definate answer for this question.

For an r32 Rb26dett that will be kept fairly stock and not really be pushed higher than 350 hp, is it possible to use the N1 oil pump and not install the new drive collar and still be able to sleep well?

I was told that the drive collar really only causes the pump to break when you are gonna push over 450 or so horses.

Yes i already know, everyone is wondering why i bought the motor if Im not gonna push it. The plan is that we are going to get it going and have a little fun while its in with no major mods. And in about 8 months or so the motor is coming out and being completely built to withstand all we can throw at it spare no cost.

so if you know if it will work or not let me know

i'd be concerned moreso about RPM rather than horsepower, seeing as most forces or vibrations are exponential in their increase across the rev-range in reference to friction as the RPM increases.

Also, like the water pumps, you want to be able to provide sufficient oil at higher RPMs.

When we're talking about oil and pumps.

I found this oil gallery orifice on the Tomei web page.

It's to reduce the amount of oil leading to the head and giving better lubrication to the bottom end. They only have for rb26 though.

Any know if this is worth to invest in? Or is it just for thoose with bad nerves?

eP115_1.gif

http://www.tomei-p.co.jp/_2003web-catalogue/efr_set-from_top-menu/efr_index_oil-lub_rset.html

From Booztd Z 3's thread :)

RB26DETT_R33_66.JPG

that oil restrictor (as it is known amongst the RB crowd) is useable on ALL RB blocks as far as I'm aware.

But, the diameter of the hole can be from 1/16th to 1/8th and anywhere in between depending on the power output or some other variables that i would have to look in my documents for (i recorded it somewhere)

it also depends on how much oil your pump can move at a certain speed. the JUN pump supposedly flows more than the N1 pump, so you would want the hole to probably be 1/16th, where as the N1 pump would be 3/32ths... which is not quite 1/8th (this is just an example).

YOU CAN make these restrictors yourself from any rod stock that can whitstand heat well (brass seems to be choice), and drill the hole to whatever size you want, or have spec'd out for yourself.

make sure the rod is a touch oversized in diameter, and freeze it for some hours before you plunk it down into the hole. It should require a bit of force to get it into the oriface, even with a frozen restrictor and a room temperature block. but once they're together and both at room temp, the restrictor will be stuck in it's place, even moreso when heat builds up.