HybridZ

Need frame rail dimensions/pics of home made frame rails

schema

Hey all!

I did a search on making frame rails, but for the most part I pulled up posts on people asking where to buy.

Buy!?! Why buy!?

Mine a pretty rusted through, and by god if they weren't I'd still feel like it was a death trap ;)

So, if any of the DIY'ers can post dimensions, pics, experience on making their own, I'd be happy to post a write up for building and installing them.

Thanks!

Eeek, guess the typical Z owner is a hot head, not the kind of replies I expected.

I would suggest you climb under your car with a tape measure and DIY

That is a good suggestion, and it's what I did before posting here. The funny thing is, I can't seem to take measurements for metal that doesn't exist. As a Z owner, I'm sure you are well aware of the delights of corrosion. I also didn't think it was THAT bad of an idea to gain input from people who have already done so,as to possibly avoid making any mistakes they may encountered along the way?

www.alteredz.com

And yes, if one is rusting you should replace everything. Especially if you do it like Pete did above.

Thanks bud, and I've actually had his page book marked from some time, just got shuffled along the way.

not so pull the old "search before you speak" card but, try searching for frame rails you will find a ton of info on the topic. Many before you have been faced with the same problems.

Nope, that's a good card to play. I'm a mod on a local car forum and it's mildly frustrating when the same question gets piled high. I did a seach before this, and pulled up a few pages on where to buy, not making them.

If I can clarify, as it seems my simple post has aggitated more than just who has replied here;

-"What I said was meant from a person (like myself) who likes to spend the extra time and work to tinker with stuff on their own, to build and fabricate, take pride in their work, know what I mean? It wasn't a shoot down to anybody's work. The time it will take for (me) to make a frame rail won't be as cost effective as buying a premade one, but time enjoyed wasting isn't wasted time." -Me

Feel free to delete this entire thread, I know I can make them myself, that was never in question. I was just looking for experienced Z owners who have traveled the same path.

:icon14:

JustinOlson, that doesn't seem to bad for a zcar. I've seen these things rotted to waste. You're lucky, yours seems pretty save-able. That being said, the rust you show in that picture is effecting the structural integrity of the car and needs to be fixed. Maybe not today or tommorow, but you need to plan on fixing it... soon. Trying to fix it in a way that isn't going to cause more rust is important as well. Seam sealing and undercoating after you're through ect.

Do you mean Front Frame rails? ( not subframe connectors, I think the two terms are interchanged alot , and causes alot of confusion , at least for me.) Pete has good info for subframe connectors (link given above), that is what I used to build mine , as for front frame rails , I have a post http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=94710

where I made mine, and the drawings I made are available in the post as a PDF file.

This is for a 78 280z, the 240z's may be different.