HybridZ

Ready to yank MS

kvansic162

Well my patience is about gone with MS. I can have the car idle perfect for 20 mins or more , the wide band is 14:0 to 15:0. Then it just drops to 18:1 or worse and shakes. I shouldn't have to keep adjusting the fuel at idle after running perfectly for 30 min or more. Damaged MS? No resets shown.

The other problem is hitting throttle... it spikes lean 20:1 then pegs rich 10:1 and rises back to where it should be causing the car to buck and have poor performance. I've tried lean maps and rich maps ... no change. And the car on decel pops and back fires and shows 20:1 or worse on the wideband. So do I go to a tuner and spend more than the system cost?

I'd double check you fuel lines, filters, fuel pump, regulator, and wiring to be sure everything is connected OK. Then I would spend some $ at a reputable dyno shop. Trying to drive it around and tune, is a waste of time. Get it on a dyno for an hour or two and be done with it.

I have a brand new pallnet fuel rail with custom fuel rail lines, New Aeromotive fuel regulator, and a new edlebrock fuel filter that is cleanable. I dought it is getting too little fuel because under hard throttle a cloud of black smoke piles out of the tail pipe. Fuel presure is at 30 and is consistant,hit the throttle and the fuel pressure spikes up to about 38 and comes down. I have a Crane Hi 6 for ignition, I ran the tach wire from the HI-6 right to MS. I've tried adjusting the fuel map and accel bins and see no difference with the lean- rich spike. Does it matter the diameter size of the hose going to the map sensor. I have a cam but it is mild- 280/480. The car ran great on the stock sytem.... so it should only run better with MS. I would think a N/A car would be easyer than a turbo car. When would you use alpha -N?

That sounds like you set your idle settings during warmup and when the car warmed up it removed the warmup enrichment and went lean.

Also, MS has enrichment settings for accel and decel. Trying "rich maps" and "lean maps" aren't going to get you anywhere - make your own map by hand or from logs.

No offense (seriously) but it doesn't sound like you read the manual yet. If you are not willing to do that then yes, you will have to pay someone else to, or use a different system(which will also require reading) and pay someone else to tune that too.

Good luck.

carbuerated???? do people use ms on carbed engines?

Stranger things have happened. I've seen a few people use Megasquirt for ignition control with carbed engines. Usually it's because they put a set of Webers on an engine with no provisions for a distributor, or so they'd only have to deal with one issue at a time when installing it.

Yeh I agree with Forrest.

its all in tuning.. you need to be more patient.

the lean spike on throttle tip in can be fixed with "MAP dot or TPS" tuning.

once the car warms up, it jumps out of "warm-up mode" which enrichens the fuel. Best thing to do is tune while all warmed up. Then wait for it to cool down, start up the car and adjust the "enrichments" on the warmup mode to get a nice AFR.

Decel pops are normal with lean conditions. Im using the over-run cut off, so when cruising and I stay off the throttle more than a few seconds, it cuts fuel to save on gas and allow engine braking. Right when it cuts the AFR will go to O2/20:1 and pop.

• Administrators
Stranger things have happened. I've seen a few people use Megasquirt for ignition control with carbed engines.

Why yes, I've done this myself :wink:

In all seriousness though, If a guy is already carb'd, relatively new to injection, and wants to make the transistion into EFI, I think its a viable consideration to start with ignition. Its *usually* more forgiving, less potential down time (or at least breaking it into smaller bites) and a real eye opener for the first time user.