HybridZ

Fuel tank question

I am in process of installing my Z28 fuel tank into my 280Z. I know the stock tank stuck down below the body but I never measured how far below. Anyone got time to measure their stock tank? I need the distance from the bottom of the splash pan to the bottom of the tank. This may be the most insane idea I ever had, LOL.

Thanks

OK= i hope this is what you are looking for. Mine is 3 3/4 inches lower than the stock rear valance under the rear bumper. My car is lowered a little, but the tank is 8 inches off the ground.

Mike

Exactly what I needed, thanks. My Z28 tank right now sits at 5 1/2" from the valance, looks like I should move it up a bit, I have some home to play.

BTW I bought my car two years ago from a dentist who lived in Post Falls Idaho.

Deja,

Is the tank you're installing from an LS1 F-Body (1999 - 200X)?

Mine is from a 2001 Camaro and bairly hangs below the rear valance. I used 1 x 2 tubing to build the mount frame and put it as high as possible after removing the spare tire well. I still have enough room to get my hand between the rear deck floor and the top of the tank but it's a tight fit.

Wheelman

Deja,

Is the tank you're installing from an LS1 F-Body (1999 - 200X)?

Mine is from a 2001 Camaro and bairly hangs below the rear valance. I used 1 x 2 tubing to build the mount frame and put it as high as possible after removing the spare tire well. I still have enough room to get my hand between the rear deck floor and the top of the tank but it's a tight fit.

Wheelman

No, its the steel tank from a 94 Z28. Did you flip your tank around, Camaro filler is on the driver's side? If not have you have any issues with fuel starvation? The reservoir (low point) in the Camaro is in the back of the tank. Got any pictures?

Yes I flipped mine around so the filler is on the correct side.

I just posted a short report about not having any fuel starvation issues at an Auto-X event I just attended. I started the weekend with about 1/2 tank and ended running on fumes with no fuel issues what so ever.

Based on this I'd say that it really doesn't matter which direction these LS1 F-Body tanks are mounted.

I don't have any pictures of the rear of the car or the process of installing the tank. I'm really bad about not taking progress pictures, I get so involved in getting it done I just forget.

I will take some pictures but it may be a few days, my camera is busted (fell off the back of the car) so I'll need to borrow my daughter's.

Will you have to remove the spare tire well to install the older tank?

What is it's capacity?

Are you having it boiled out before installation?

Have you checked it for rust?

Wheelman

I just posted a short report about not having any fuel starvation issues at an Auto-X event I just attended. I started the weekend with about 1/2 tank and ended running on fumes with no fuel issues what so ever.

Based on this I'd say that it really doesn't matter which direction these LS1 F-Body tanks are mounted.

I don't have any pictures of the rear of the car or the process of installing the tank. I'm really bad about not taking progress pictures, I get so involved in getting it done I just forget.

I will take some pictures but it may be a few days, my camera is busted (fell off the back of the car) so I'll need to borrow my daughter's.

What is it's capacity?

Wheelman

That's already done, got a huge hole there now.

What is it's capacity?

15.5 gallons

I drained all the gas, pulled the fuel pump, filled it tank with water, soapy water, water many times. Tt is completely clean. You could eat off the inside of this thing, LOL.

It is very clean inside.

BTW I bought my car two years ago from a dentist who lived in Post Falls Idaho.

Post Falls is a long way to go for a car from Georgia.

Mike

LOL. I had it shipped, expensive but worth it to get a body that is totally rust free.

Not to hi-jack the thread but where in Idaho are you from m1noel?

I grew up in northern Idaho, St. Maries to be exact. It's very near Cour De Alene if you haven't heard of it.

Deja,

Sounds like you've got it all under control, you should take some pictures to document the swap. I think you're the first to use that generation of Camaro tank.

Wheelman

Deja,

Sounds like you've got it all under control, you should take some pictures to document the swap. I think you're the first to use that generation of Camaro tank.

Wheelman

I just flipped the tank and it sure fits better that way. its tucked up past the valance and there's still room below the floor. The tank has a deep reservoir where that the pump slides into and baffles so perhaps starvation won't be an issue. The down side is the fuel lines aim the wrong direction, not a huge issue. Gonna have to think hard about this. Pictures and documentation will be done.

The LS1 tank lines also point the wrong direction but I took advantage of that and routed them along the right side frame back there and mounted the fuel filter to the rail. I was also able to use the snap on fuel line connectors from the original lines to connect my new high pressure rubber hose the the tank fittings.

Wheelman

The LS1 tank lines also point the wrong direction but I took advantage of that and routed them along the right side frame back there and mounted the fuel filter to the rail. I was also able to use the snap on fuel line connectors from the original lines to connect my new high pressure rubber hose the the tank fittings.

Wheelman

I saw that the original hole for the fuel lines was right there, might be easier using that to get the lines past the rear suspension. And the filler on the tank and car almost line up too. Thanks for your inputs.

Wheelman

BTW how did you do in the Auto-X? I used to do a lot of that years ago when I had the Sunbean Tiger, never did very well though, car was too nose heavy for tight courses but it was a blast.

BTW how did you do in the Auto-X? I used to do a lot of that years ago when I had the Sunbean Tiger, never did very well though, car was too nose heavy for tight courses but it was a blast.

I did ok except for the tire spin. There were 131 cars and I think I had better times than anything that didn't have race rubber. And almost none that did. I used to auto-x a lot and used to have some good hoosier's but I haven't been out for 13 years and am not willing to buy a set of new tires just for one time out.

Mike

I did fairly well at my event also. The local club groups all prepared and modified classes together which makes for a tough class. Unfortunately there aren't many cars that show but it's still fun. On Sat there were 4 cars and Sun only 3 and I came in second behind an Evo 8 on race tires both days. The owner is one of the local club regulars and has national level experience so I don't feel to bad. :)

Sat. was kinda cold and the first outing since the new springs, camber plates and LSD so I was still getting used to the car. Sun. I placed 10th overall in raw time but PAX just kills me.

The changes to the suspension, the LSD and the new Falken RT-615s have really changed the personality of the car. I used to have to fight to keep traction and got a bit frustrated with it, now it's a pleasure to drive and has a lot more potential for speed than I was able to use. It will still get loose in a corner with too much throttle but it takes a lot more now and it will set and go much earlier exiting than it did before.

Wheelman

I did fairly well at my event also. The local club groups all prepared and modified classes together which makes for a tough class. Unfortunately there aren't many cars that show but it's still fun. On Sat there were 4 cars and Sun only 3 and I came in second behind an Evo 8 on race tires both days. The owner is one of the local club regulars and has national level experience so I don't feel to bad. :)

Sat. was kinda cold and the first outing since the new springs, camber plates and LSD so I was still getting used to the car. Sun. I placed 10th overall in raw time but PAX just kills me.

The changes to the suspension, the LSD and the new Falken RT-615s have really changed the personality of the car. I used to have to fight to keep traction and got a bit frustrated with it, now it's a pleasure to drive and has a lot more potential for speed than I was able to use. It will still get loose in a corner with too much throttle but it takes a lot more now and it will set and go much earlier exiting than it did before.

Wheelman

I'm sure that LSD make a huge difference. I've got Falken 17" 512's on mine and like them a lot. Steering characteristics totally changed from the Cooper 14" tires it had on it before. I have new lowering springs and struts to go in after I get the engine swap done, should be a whole different car.

When I was running the Tiger I entered a SCCA event in Cincinnati. I was the only car in B production that drove to the track, it was embarassing, LOL. Sunbeam of America felt sorry for me and lent me a set of racing tires, but I didn't have the HP to use them and couldn't get the back end out on corners, I ate a lot of cones! I'm sure I was entertaining for the others racers but it was fun.

Do you still have that Tiger?

Wheelman

I wish! I gave up the Tiger when I got married, what the hell was I thinking? I don't have the Tiger or the wife today!

I also sold a '70 AMX after owning it for 7 years, loved that car. I got almost what I paid new for it but wonder what its worth now.

I had to give up my first Z car when I got married and had a kid.

Still have the wife though, it turned out to be a good deal for me.

Yeah, looking at some of the prices cars go for on Barret Jackson it makes you wonder doesn't it.

Wheelman