HybridZ

RHD conversion planing

gjc5500

Im looking at converting my 240z or getting a later 280zxt and doing a full on tube frame for the front end, maybe the rear too. what i intend to do is get a jdm steering rack off of maybe a suburu and just move the coloum over to the other side of the car, along w/ the peddels and everything else. as for the fire wall, i plan on just cutting a new hole for the coloum and just adding some tubed supports for it. is there anything i missed? Oh, and a custom dash.

as far as i know (I've done a few firwall R&R for customers) the firwall is different. on my Fairlady every thing is in about the same place except the pedals, MC,throttle, etc.

and thats from the engine compartment side. on the dash side of the fire wall is an array of different brackets.

I preffer the real thing any way.

Yeah, buy a Fairlady, they are out there and cheap enough.

The pedals on a 'converted' RHD setup bend the wrong way (towards the tunnel on the LHD, but when on the RH side, they point toward the door, and just don't line up correctly...)

All the bracketry regarding electricals is identical between Fairlady and comparable model LHD---the harness is longer for the insturmentation, but nothing big there to swap...

I'd still buy a Fairlady, it's going to be cheaper, and be right. They are lighter anyway, so Fairlady Z's make better starter vehicles for project racers anyway.

Matter of fact, if you are willing to travel, there are probably several Fairlady Z's in CA within a 6 hour drive.

The ZX is a much more involved conversion than the S30. For a ZX, I'd get a Fairlady DEFINATELY. For an S30, the parts are fairly easy to do the swap, but on a ZX, run away! Run Away! Fairlady Purchase is THE way to go in that case!

I will lay money someone parting a Fairlady for a "Clip" will want more for it than you can buy the whole car for.

I haven't had to pay more than $1500 for a FairladyZ, and they routinely show up on e-bay in that range as well.

If that's too expensive for you, then getting a clip and putting in all that labor and buying a welder to install it will end up more than the whole car would cost.

To no advantage: the car will not be worth as much as a real Fairlady. Conversions rarely if ever are....

I figured that real fairladys here in the states would be closer to 6-7k in the states

Hey, I've got a nice donor ZX that I'm SURE my wife will let me sell to you for that price!

Seriously though, on the west coast, they are up all the time for under $5K, WELL under 5K.