HybridZ

boat v8

ok odd moment please forgive me but i got an odd question could i use a basic 350 automotive engine as a boat engine? obviously with the right intake exhaust etc etc. again sorry if this isnt in the righ5 place but i was thinking chevy v8. and does anyone know alot about boats or know any good places to find parts?a mid eightys beachcraft

i pretty sure you can but i was talking to a friend who has a donzi with a 350 small block. he told me boats use a diffrent cam. also the cooling system is alittle bit diffrent. instead of a radiator, theres a box the sea water is pumped into and it cools the engine coolant which is sealed from the sea water.

hope that helps

Yes if you have the boat engine to rob the specifics off of.. Waterpump,exhaust etc and it uses the same rotation engine as a car you can use a car engine. I had a 5.0 85GT motor in one of my old runabouts. I even kept the fuel inj and computer. I did change to a COMP CAMS boat cam grind.

My 5.0 Ford in my old cabin cruiser had reverse rotation. Little things like the points were different, water cooled exhaust, alternator had a spark arrestor screen on it, the basic block was the same with a reverse grind cam. Different lower units might make a difference in rotation.

Staledale

I thought the reverse rotation was only if you were running dual engines/props?

I have always wondered what the difference between regular parts and "marine" parts were. In particular carbs. Marine carbs are somehow or the other Coast Guard approved. I don't know what the difference is. Maybe something to do with fires and gas fumes filling up the engine box?

Bronze freeze plugs are a must.

Check your rotation.

The carbs are different. Marine carbs bowl vents over hang the intake venturi (see Pic)

y40ecsif.jpg

In case you have a needle/seat stick the fuel overflow floods the engine, rather than chance it running onto your intake.

For peak performance use a marine grind cam.

Switch all of the parts from your current engine to the new one