HybridZ

carb/turbo blowthrough kit fabbing

240swapped

I did the calcs and it will work. I do not plan on running the car at anything close to redline. It is an M62 the same size as the guy who has the SC injected set up. And he is putting out arould 15 psi of boost by his posts.

Tony D

After reading my weber book it looks like reducing the size of that air correction jet would richen the mixture. It looks like the secret to blow through is all in the air jet and the emusion tube.

I sent your a message on the box.

WOW! That looks totally familiar... oh yeah... it's sitting out in my garage... ;)

Could you send me info on what jetting the set up has, air, emussion tube, main and idle jet, and what boost it is designed for. It seem like no one has any information on this.

Thanks

I thought about using a pair of '73/'74 Hitachi flat tops. That would be a fitting end to the spare set in my garage. Oh well, another project on the pile...

Send me an e-mail or your e-mail addy, I have some photos that may spur you to start working on that thing!

The 73 Float Bowls are BIG, and the 74's aren't. So if they are 73 Flat Tops, you can easily set up some Ford TBI injectors from HO 5.0's in there at a 45 degree angle so the spray impinges on the center of the throttle plate. This is NOT ideal I have found... so a steeper angle will have to be employed in the SECOND set of prototypes...

But add a .750" spacer to the float bowl, mill down the heat shield standoffs an equal amount, and cut a hole in the bottom so the injector connecctor can stick through and NOBODY from underneath or on top can tell they are fuel injected.

Then you drill out the stock fuel passage in the carb to .250", and you can run the stock fuel rail with EFI hose directly to the carburettors deadheaded. Stick that asbestos insulation on the rail and the hoses...and who can tell?

Use the stock ZXT regulator on the return line (orifice removed, and then the regulator set inline as a variable return orifice....) and you're set. EFI pump in the back, with a 280Z tank...nobody sees nothing.

TPS? Simple, easily hidden under the dashboard, or use a GM unit with a 'key drive' right on the end of the throttle linkage---doubt anyone will even look that close, and coincidentally it's right under the valve cover breather.

Not that I've given it any thought, WW. No....not at all.

If only I'd REAMED those fuel rails instead of DRILLING them, I'd be using them NOW! I have a fuel leak issue to contend with...I know what I have to do, just no time to do it!

• 6 months later...

I have been reading up a lot on the blow threw designs that are out there and have come to the conclusion that im gunna fab up a box for my mikunis. I have seen the cartech box but as i have read in this post it is not favorable style out there. I have been searching but i have had no luck at seeing what the HKS style box looks like can anyone help me out on this? I have an L24 and am planning a build up non efi. so any help of different box designs would be helpful even drawings that u thought of in your sleep. as many idas the better.

• 2 weeks later...

06.intake2.jpg

You got me thinking there!

I am planing an FI L28 and almost settle for the SU TBI.

It's a f54+p90 combo milled 1 mm + rally cam. 280ZX EI. 6/2/1 exhaust.

I figure if this combo work well with Ztherapy SU it should perform even better on SU TBI. :P

Yet :-)

I also have a spare canon style manifold with 3 dirty Dellortos 45 that I would not trust to use as carb again.

I also have a spare 280ZX manifold.

Do you think that welding the canon manifold on the zx base and using the Delortos without anything else but the butterfly and TPS would make a workable set-up, with MS of course.

A sleeper SU TBI is fun, a sleeper 3 Delortos TBI is awesome

DELLORTOS

Remember that on Dellotros you can BUY from the FACTORY the proper seals and emulsions tubes to work properly on-boost!

The Maserati BiTurbo utilized Dellorto Blow-Through DHLAS! All the parts exist to put them together wtih an emulsion tube that richens up on-boost automatically without changing to humongo jets.

Somewhere I have a Videotape where I recorded the setup of a Cartech 44PHH Mikuini setup jetting. They were MUCH larger than I was running at the time with my modulator-ringed L28 (even if he was a 3.0, that is not enough to run the jets he was running!)

If you want to run the Dels as ITB's, pull the venturis, and sleeve the interior to 45mm with a single tube, it prevents any boost leaks. Put the injectors in a spacer behind the throttles and you will not have to worry about sealing the throttle shafts. As for a TPS, check out Kinsler Fuel Injection in Troy Michigan. They have a CW and CCW TPS setup that mounts anywhere, and can hook onto the triples manifold bar with an additional arm, linkage, and a place to mount their bracket.

Frankly, I've considered using the Kinsler TPS bracket under the dashboard hooked to the stock bellcrank through a rod simply because it's HIDDEN! In any case, the Kinsler bracket will give you a versatile way to put a TPS on any bellcrank actuated throttle system...even stock SU's! Keeps you from having to adapt something to the stock Carb throttle shaft. On the pictured Cartech system, since the Mikuini Bellcranks have 'extra' ball holes, putting a linkage to one and hooking it to the TPS is a breeze, as long as you can get the linearity worked out!

The Kinsler bracket uses GM TPS units, which are pretty much universal on EMS systems these days.

Merci TonyD

I do not intend to use a turbo, Right? I used the pict only as a ref. for the whole sexy 3 carbs layout!

I assume than you did a fair amount of skunk work on this matter :flamedevi

So tell me... the easiest way would be to drill the manifold, the thing is a bit longer than a cannon yet, I ma unsure that I could put the injector with any angle... is it a real no-no? AS for the injectors, wich one would be the best?

I was at the race track yesterday with a 3,1 monster on the wet... I wish we had a TBI system with a map for the rain... no fun to use onlu 25% of all that raw power

After thoughts, here's the easiest plan I came up with!

I have all the parts minus the injectors, would it work, at least on paper?

I understand that sticking the injector in the plenum would reduce the air induction a bit, yet maybe not enough to really hurt the flow that much!

I am not looking for 300 HP I would be happy with 200...

itbne8.th.jpg