HybridZ

Common thread pitch - 1.0, 1.25?

I purchased my Zed as a rolling chassis. It appears that it has been disassembled for years. I'm just trying to buy bolts, etc, to fit the various mountings (roll-bars, etc). Bolts are proving a bit difficult to fit with some possible rust build up or possible earlier mistreatment. I want to run a tap through first but just want to make sure of the pitch. Fairly confident that most are 1.25. Can anyone confirm this?

Don't you just hate guys who throw all the nuts & bolts into one container and then to make matter worse, lose the container.

Guest TeamNissan

God how many times people showed up with somethig half taken apart and a box of bolts lol. I use zip locks and a marker even for my own things.

I'm not 100% on the tapper but some one will chime in, its a good question.

actually all you have to do is look in machnery's handbook and look up the thread forms for ISO threads. It isn't like the old days when people just used whatever thread they felt like. Japs use ISO and Germans use DIN. That is why you find 13 mm heads on most M8 bolts you buy and in some places on Z's you really need the M8 with the 12 mm head. When you buy specify ISO bolts.

The ISO standards may not assist as the same dia thread will have different pitches, often depending on shear strength of the material it is threading.

God how many times people showed up with somethig half taken apart and a box of bolts lol. I use zip locks and a marker even for my own things..

Yeh, me too, but my wife can't understand how I do that with my car parts then leave my clothes lying around the bedroom floor. Women ... they just don't get it!

Can't help on sourcing I'm up here in rain country NW. ISO does have fine and coarse thread but generally auto usage is fine thread. What I do is go to the junkyard find a Jap car and start taking off a bunch of bolts. Up here you can get a gallon zip lock full for a buck or two. Usually can pick em up off the ground around the wrecks.

Shoot. All the home stores sell plastic templates that will do all you need to determine bolt and nut sizes. They are similar to a drill guage.

boltgauge.jpg

Measuring pitch requires a pitch guage.

Pitch guages are EXTREMELY usefull to prevent accidentially threading a metric into an SAE and vice versa. The two can look close, but the pitch guage removes all doubt.