HybridZ

Caster Adjustment

Ok, I'll preface my question by saying that my entire knowledge of Zcar suspensions is what I've read here, so be gentle with your answers. My alignment guy says that there is so much negative caster (-2 degrees) on my front wheels (actually on one wheel), that he can't even set the toe-in. I just finished painting, so I'm not real anxious to do any cutting for caster/camber plates, especially if the caster part of their adjustability is suspect anyway. My question is... could I gain some measure of adjustment by slotting the crossmember mounting holes?

ps. If it matters, I've done the lower control arm pivot relocation, up an inch and over a quarter inch. The struts were sectioned 1-1/2" , and there's bumpsteer spacers.

Caster is determined by the length of the TC rod. I have never heard of a Z with neg caster. That's a new one. Also, the caster wouldn't have anything at all to do with setting the toe. My guess is that you have 2 deg neg camber. Why this would prevent someone from setting toe is also a mystery to me.

I would suggest that you find another alignment shop, and if you have a better explanation of the issue, maybe restate it so that it so that we can really understand what's going on.

Before going to another alignment shop, check and make sure you installed the lower control arm bushings correctly. The bushing should orient the LCA forward in the crossmember. In other words, the thicker part of the bushing should be at the rear of the LCA. If the bushing is installed incorrectly you can get zero or negative caster numbers.

Also, if one bushing is installed correctly and the other incorrectly, it would be very difficult to check toe.

I believe the control arm bushings are correct, but if the t/c rod has an influence on caster I'm wondering if there's a problem there. If a spacer was missing or if the nut was improperly torqued, would that pull the control arm back enough to cause negative caster?