HybridZ

Harbor frieght engine stand

mom'sZ

if your REALLY tight on cash this will also work ok,

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200305217_200305217

but it won,t fold up to store, it

keep in mind the few dollars you might save on the cheaper stands going to look mighty foolish if the cheaper stand tips or fails under load and you get hurt, hospitalized or even just bust a few engine parts.......be smart and have a SIGNIFICANT SAFETY MARGIN

"Originally Posted by MrFancypants

The big difference in quality on their hoists, stands, cranes etc. is the quality of the paint. I say who cares about the paint"

sorry thats TOTALLY WRONG, its the AMOUNT OF STEEL USED, LOOK AT THE DIFFERANCE IN SHIPPING WEIGHTS

Weight: 58 lbs

32916.gif

Ship Wt. 77.0 lbs

144850_lg.gif

Shipping weight: 118 lbs.

47304.gif

BTW that $119 engine crane weights LESS than 1/2 of what mine does at 540lbs and I bought it because IM going to be UNDER that engine at some point....do you really want to trust some chinese made junk thats made strickly to meet and or undercut the competitions prices rather than insure your BUTT doesn,t get crushed???????

there are times to save money but when your LIFES potentially on the line if a product fails ....well,thats just not an option if your playing with a full deck mentally in my opinion.

pay a little more and get something that won,t get you killed or crippled, hopefully with a significant safety marging and IDEALL made in AMERICA

"Originally Posted by MrFancypants

The big difference in quality on their hoists, stands, cranes etc. is the quality of the paint. I say who cares about the paint"

sorry thats TOTALLY WRONG, its the AMOUNT OF STEEL USED, LOOK AT THE DIFFERANCE IN SHIPPING WEIGHTS

Cmon Grumpy, every one of those stands is radically different than the other. Youre comparing a 500 lb stand to a 2000 lb stand. Of course the latter is going to have more steel in it and cost more.

I agree that a three wheel stand will be less stable than a four wheel stand. But next time, please compare an American made 500 lb 3 wheel stand to a Chinese one. Then it's worth comparing.

- Greg -

what your REALLY DEBATING HERE IS IF SPENDING OR SAVING an extra $40- too $60 dollars is worth the savings & gamble/risk VS your BUTT crippled for life or getting killed if the product fails at a very non-convienent time.

spend the extra bucks, get the extra safety margin

The key to HF is to wait for their sales. I got my HF cherry picker for $99 from HF, but "regular price" was $149. I think my 500 lb engine stand was regular $50 and I got it for $30.
Look what just landed in my inbox:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=93840

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=32915

I've got the "Marginally Better" HF unit (freebie from a chop shop bust via the impound yard owner giving it to me) and the downfall I see with any of them is they are bolted together. Like Grumpy states, they CAN be tippy, especially on uneven surfaces and when up high. For lifting, it's great, but I am continually going back to tighten the bolts as I find they work loose over time working on the dirt in my back yard (no concrete). This one was outside for a loooooong time, and looks to be at least 15 if not more years old. The ram is rusted, and it leaks. But it functions O.K. other than the bolts loosening. I have replaced the casters with something of higher quality, and because one of them was ground almost flat when I got it.

As for the engine stands, I have 'a few' of them, and use the 750 and 1000# units for STORAGE ONLY. I have one larger one of much greater capacity that I got in a similar fashion to the hoist, and feel a LOT more comfortable wrenching on the engine on it than I do on the 750 or 1000# models---they ARE tippy with the full weight of the L28 on them. I also noticed the deals on them as a closeout at Kragen one day, and loaded up a couple for 'future usage'---they seem fine for static storage. For moving them and working on them, get something more substantial. In Japan they almost always work on the block when it's on the floor on two 4X4 Blocks of Dunnage and they make great power. My gut will not allow me to splay leggedly squat like that any more, so I'm relegated to standing and working form the bigger engine stand.

735451_191_full.jpg

"A Few"

LOL

Those are the same two that I have (guess the stand was 750 lb after all). Ive used the hoist to pull a SR20 and to hold up the L28 in my Z while I pulled the crossmember. The stand has only supported the SR20, but will eventually support the new project motor. Both worked fine for my needs. In retrospect it probably would have been a good idea to go with the less tippy 1000 version with the fourth caster, but like I said, they work fine for my needs.

- Greg -

"BTW that $119 engine crane weights LESS than 1/2 of what mine does at 540lbs and I bought it because IM going to be UNDER that engine at some point....do you really want to trust some chinese made junk thats made strickly to meet and or undercut the competitions prices rather than insure your BUTT doesn,t get crushed???????

My butt will heal itself. But my motor cost $$$!!! Believe me I don't want anything to fail.

I am telling you the Pep Boys unit is a quality piece. It will hold a fully assembled motor and transmission with no trouble at all. For days on end if need be. The unit itself weighs enough that I had to unbox it and take it out of the truck in pieces. I have every confidence in it.

540 pounds sounds like an absolute nightmare to move around and work with. At some point you are just adding unnecessary weight. I have seen engines pulled with a come-a-long connected to a 2x4 bridged across the garage rafters.

hoot. At 540 pounds you may need to buy one of the Chinese units just to pick up your shop crane should it ever get knocked over!

nope its on 6 large caster wheels and moves easily with or without an engine on it!

but IM SURE most people thought that way! as that model is no longer available and cost almost $700 when it was last sold, (I paid less than 1/2 that amount 12 -14 years ago for it)

I've hoisted my L28 Complete from the rafter of my Tuff-Shed to put it on the engine stand.

Obviously now I have 'the Container' and can simply clevis some Gr 80 Chain across the top tie hooks and hoist them with the chainfall that way.

In and out of the car....oh man, concrete is SUCH a luxury! You guys don't know how good you got it!

oh man, concrete is SUCH a luxury! You guys don't know how good you got it!

You know, I never considered this in our little debate here. All of my work is done on a flat, smooth, concrete surface. I would definitely not try a three caster engine stand if I didnt have the "luxury".

- Greg -