HybridZ

Flywheel bolts hitting disc! PICS

datsunan

This is the 2nd time this has happened. First with my CF Duel fricton, now with my XTD set-up. I think my FW bolts are out to far dew to this large washer that is on my FW. Does anyone know if this is supposed to be on an 83 turbo with the BW tranny? I'm thinking not if it keeps hitting my bolts, either that or the bolt heads are wrong. this is also the second FW stock and now alum 10lb. You can see where the bolts are shinny is where they have been hitting the spring retainers on the disc. Any Idea, help? thanks Paul

IMG_0089.JPG

Actually, if I recall it properly, that big washer isn't used on the 5 speed version. It's only used on the automatic, and goes in the place you have it, behind the flexplate.

refer: http://carfiche.com/fiche009/s130/2/c06.gif Go to fiche #2 c 6, parts 27 & 31

c06.gif

The 5 speed has NO spacer between the crank and the flywheel either. The parts in the diagram above are #27 & 31, neither of which is used on the 5 speed. They make up the differences between the thickness of a flywheel and a flex plate, and add strength to the flimsy flexplate used on the automatic.

Hope it helps.

Warren

The flexplate spacer is sometimes used with aluminum flywheels to keep the bolts from deforming the aluminum when being tightened. If you use the correct torques for the flywheel bolts this shouldn't be an issue.

I used this mod for a while, but didn't like the fact that it leaves precious little thread engagement for the bolts - the aluminum flywheel is already a bit thicker than stock as I recall, and the flexplate spacer is pretty thick on top of that. This never caused any actual problems, and I was making in excess of 350rwhp at the time, but it simply bothered me.

I also had the problem you describe, and was able to remedy it by simply adjusting the clutch travel so that it didn't disengage quite so far. There was still more than enough disengagement such that the clutch didn't drag. So, if it's still all buttoned up and you don't want to take it back apart, you could try adjusting the clutch pedal first.

Re-use flywheel bolts at your own risk. I know many people re-use them, but I consider them a disposable item. They're not that expensive and you can still get new ones from the nissan dealer. For the few bucks, it's worth knowing they haven't stretched or been weakend some way. Do you really want your flywheel to come loose? It gets ugly real quick!

i have a z31 and this happened to me also when iw ent from AUTO to standard. that spacer is deffinatly causing the problem

As I mentioned - the problem is easily remedied if you wish to keep the spacer. It's maybe 10 minutes worth of work and no disassembly.

So, if you are not already disassembled you have a viable option.

If you are already disassembled, the question becomes "do I need to keep the spacer?". If the flywheel's aluminum is munged up/badly deformed at the bolt holes from previous over-tightening, then the answer is "yes".

Otherwise you should be able to do without - just use the proper torque and red loctite.

Maybe I am not understading the problem correctly, but it looks like you could simply grind or machine off just the little outter lip on the bolt heads and be just fine...

Okay - one more time...

All he has to do is adjust the clutch so that it stops interfering.

• 3 weeks later...

Datsunan"

Thanks for sending me the spacer.

Unfortunately, the spacer you sent was the one on the transmissionn side of the flexplate - not the one with the lip on the crankshaft side of the flexplate - which is the spacer that I need.

Appreciate the effort though - you're aces in my book!