HybridZ

Update Sanderson(JTR) Header and JCI Mount

Finally drop the motor in !!!!The only hiccup we ran into was the driver side sanderson header (1 3/4) from JTR and the JCI mount. I took a dremel to the rear edge of the mount and cut the corner and then we welded in a triangle shaped flat piece of steel. Will need to trim the corner just a little and were good to go. Need to finish fuel line in engine bay and start to work on engine/chasis electric, Autometer guages/dash order driveshaft once the motor and tranny mounts are in place. *Quick note* I decide not to use the nutserts for the transmission mount. Went to Tractor supply bought some 5/16 grade 8 zince plated nuts/bolts/ lockwashers and I will use some Loctite as well.

Engine_in_1.JPG

Driver_header_4.JPG

Looks good. I don't know if you've said but why did you use the JCI mounts (instead of JTR's esp. since you're using their headers). I wouldn't have thought it would have caused any problems but it seems the engine is set more towards the driver side than where the JTR mount would be?

edit: nevermind I'm a tard

I am doing a LS1 swap. I read some of the earlier posts about the header /driver side issue. I was hoping not have this problem and move on to the fuel line, accessories, radiator/fans and body/chasis electric and fire it up !!! Oh well that is hot rodding !!!!

Lookin good. We really are neck and neck with one another. Last Friday was like Xmas for me. Speartech harness came in the mail, gas tank back with sump and restored and all fuel lines/ -an fittings needed. I didn't see any of it yet but will next week!

Keep up the work and more pics.

Oh, Oh. I have the same header and about to mount it on a cast iron block 5.3 GenIII engine. The motor mounts were to be corvette units with corvette insulators. Besides grinding down a boss, does any one see any conflict with the GM 'Vette motor mounts.

g

Dudeboy,

You will have to cut one of the mounting boss on the driver side of the block to fit the header. It's the rear upper one. Sorry I don't have any picture.

Actually I have a picture

2079260_220_full.jpg

You are in deep kimchi. The JTR headers won't work with the C5 style mounts. The driver side works great but the passenger side will hit your C5 mount. I've made the same mistake on my swap but luckily I used the JCI mounts on my friend's swap. So I didn't loose money on the headers.

VinhZXT,

Thanks for that photo !! I had to go back into my notes and pictures, and I was sure I removed all the bosses. If I am looking at your picture orientation-the left corner is were the oil filter is?

Take a look at this photo, I removed bosses on both sides at the rear of the block (right below the header bolt.) I can not remember if there was another I removed bit lower ? the headers fit fine and are flush? But, i will take another look

engine_pic_header_2.JPG

I took a look at a picture Dale posted of his driver side header, and I think the header jig is just a bit off on some of the headers. I hope it is a boss I miss removing, by this weekend the motor will be in !!!!!

Thanks VinhZXT

Yes the oil filter is on the left. The picture was taken from underneath the car. I also noticed a few spark plugs wires were touching the exhaust manifold also. I didn't like that about the headers either. I used the stock C5 headers on my project and the spark plug wires did not touch the headers. I had a friend with this problem and he kept burning up the spark plug wires. So keep your eyes on the wires. GL.

Vinh

You are in deep kimchi. The JTR headers won't work with the C5 style mounts. The driver side works great but the passenger side will hit your C5 mount. I've made the same mistake on my swap but luckily I used the JCI mounts on my friend's swap. So I didn't loose money on the headers.

Yeah, VinhZXT is correct. You will need to make a new mount for the passenger side to move the mounting bolt forward 1 inch. It is not that hard to do. Just cut up some 3/16 plate and use the stock aluminum mount as a template.

I wish JTR would change the header to move the passenger side collector back a little bit.

I also noticed a few spark plugs wires were touching the exhaust manifold.

I just noticed that the other day. How are people with JTR LS headers dealing with that problem

...I also noticed a few spark plugs wires were touching the exhaust manifold also. I didn't like that about the headers either. I used the stock C5 headers on my project and the spark plug wires did not touch the headers. I had a friend with this problem and he kept burning up the spark plug wires. So keep your eyes on the wires. GL.

Vinh

45 degree spark plug boots will clear the headers. Mustang 5.0 engines use 45 degree boots.

The Corvette LS2 uses 90 degree spark plug boots on one side of the engine, and these will provide better clearance than the straight boots.

45 degree spark plug boots will clear the headers. Mustang 5.0 engines use 45 degree boots.

The Corvette LS2 uses 90 degree spark plug boots on one side of the engine, and these will provide better clearance than the straight boots.

Well I have an LS2 crate motor, which is a Corvette motor, and I know Vinh used a Corvette motor.

Perhaps I should look at the wires more closely. I was only doing a trial fit to relocate the dip stick. Maybe I got a wire from the wrong side of the motor.

I found a header on the Sanderson web page that might work on the passenger side for the C5 style mount.

here is a picture of JTR header. (top one)

LS1-Zcar-Headers.jpg

Here is a new LS1 header sanderson is selling.

cc1ls1.jpg

Here is a picture of my modified C5 header that I used with the C5 style mounts.

2079260_256_full.jpg

The new CC1ls1 header might work on the passenger side but it will be very close to the starter. If this header work it will work for both the JCI mounts and the C5 style mounts. Anyone want to try it out to see it works? Hopefully MikeJTR can talk to Sanderson to make new set of headers that will work for both type of mounts for the LS1, LS2 and LS6. I have the stock C5 header son there but I am willing to pay for some nice headers if they fit.

V.

I found a header on the Sanderson web page that might work on the passenger side for the C5 style mount. ...

]

... The new CC1ls1 header might work on the passenger side but it will be very close to the starter. If this header work it will work for both the JCI mounts and the C5 style mounts. Anyone want to try it out to see it works? Hopefully MikeJTR can talk to Sanderson to make new set of headers that will work for both type of mounts for the LS1, LS2 and LS6. I have the stock C5 header son there but I am willing to pay for some nice headers if they fit.

V.

I am fully aware of the CC1LS1 header. However, after looking at how close it was to the starter, we decided it would be better to move the outlet forward, and avoid starter problems.

The ribs on the outside of the engine block caused the outlet to interfere between the frame rail and the engine block, so the outlet was moved forward to position it between the ribs. Look at the engine block, and you will see what I mean.