HybridZ

Deluge!

cygnusx1

How are you guys up in Central Northwestern NY doing? Got Snow? We a ton of rain here. My basement has 18" of water in it. Our road washed away completely. I am running the sump pump taking out about 1" an hour. Fortunately my boiler and home services are up on a step about 30" high. I also learned from Hurrican Floyd a few years ago not to store anything valuable on the first two storage shelves from the floor. This time I only lost a Kerosene heater, a few 80's records, and maybe some holiday decorations. There are alot of home that had bridges to cross a stream for driveway access. Alot of them are now stranded with no bridge!

OK now we might have a problem. The kerosene heater put a skim coat of kerosene on top of the water. The house is starting to smell like kerosene. The layer of kerosene is thin and sparse covering about 10% of the water in little pools. I threw in 1/4 bottle of dish soap to try to bond the kerosene to the water so it gets pumped out. I have a fan blowing the air directly out of the basement to the outside and I have opened a few windows in the house.

Any other suggestions? No I don't smoke.

Well at 2am this morning, I was standing on the Christmas tree stand in the basement, in my boxer shorts, with a squeegee pushing the remaining water towards the submersible pump. At 2:30am I called it a night and I think the dish soap trick worked fairly well. I still have the basement ventilated with a fan but the concrete is starting to dry already. I didn't lose the 80's records. I lost some old books, a box of holiday decorations, some sleep, and some brain cells from the kerosene vapor. Glad it's over! Now back to working on the Z.

Glad to here your damage is minimal. The weather is supposed to heat up over the weekend and next week, hopefully that will help dry everyone out.

We were lucky. Starting Sunday night, the water wouldn't initially go down when we flushed. Monday morning the town set up portable pumps in low spots all over the area to pump the excess water from the sanitary sewers into the run-off sewers. So we, and most of our immeidate neighbors are ok, but driving to and from work the last two mornings, there are countless houses with First Response, plumbing, and other related trucks out front taking care of basement flooding.

Driving to work along the Hudson River (Route 787 if you know the area), the water is very high. I've only seen the water level higher once before, and that was because of spring ice dam issues.

damn...I hate seeing stuff like that... :(

on a lighter note, I faired out pretty good up here in CT, the town next to me flooded, but I live on a hill and all I got was a small puddle in my back yard...when buying a house...location is everything.

all I do know...is that all the salt on the roads from the tiny snow storms that we had this year is 100% gone....so now it's time to bring the Z's out on the road..... The red one still needs a little door adjustment and some touchup paint, and the white one still needs a part welded up and registered. But I threw them up for sale since I really need to get the house done and get a newer daily driver....for the right price...anything is for sale...except the wife and dog. ;)