HybridZ

75 280z Strut/Coilover question

Ok I want to get a coilover setup for my Z before summer fully hits. I've been reading up on these forums and I have a couple questions to ask. I know I have the bigger struts 56mm (i just measured mine they are actually 55.5mm but I am sure this is what everyone is referring to when saying 56mm :P ) I know Modern Motion (I honestly cant remember the name, I am at my shop right now and I have the site bookmarked at home) sells a 56mm coil over sleeve combo, but It might be cheaper to put together my own kit.

1. Will 240z Strut inserts still fit my 56mm strut housings?

2. If they fit what upper strut mount options do I have, will the 240z upper mounts work?

3. If I need specific 56mm inserts are the same options available?

I've been reading for the last 3 days and I am sure I can find this info threw more searching but I am extremely busy as of late so if anyone could offer me up some answers I'd be very appreciative!!

You really do have a lot more reading to do.

Things you are going to have to research:

- How much drop do you want?

- Are you going to section your struts?

- What wheel/tire combo do you want to run?

- Do you have fender flares?

- Are you planning on running camber plates of any variety?

- What is the car used for (street, drags, auto-x, daily driver)?

- Is money an issue? I only ask this one because you say you have no time to search. This means that you probably don't have the time to properly research and put together a kit of parts.

All of these things are only STARTING points to determine what kind of hardware you need. Things like spring rate, spring length, strut sectioning, 240 perches / camber plates, and other such things are REQUIRED information to start purchasing parts for a project like this.

I really don't mind questions like this because we all started somewhere - and the cars are 25+ years old. Just about everything has been done to them by now, but regardless - be prepared to be flamed by the admins for not searching more.

You really do have a lot more reading to do.

Things you are going to have to research:

- How much drop do you want?

- Are you going to section your struts?

- What wheel/tire combo do you want to run?

- Do you have fender flares?

- Are you planning on running camber plates of any variety?

- What is the car used for (street, drags, auto-x, daily driver)?

- Is money an issue? I only ask this one because you say you have no time to search. This means that you probably don't have the time to properly research and put together a kit of parts.

All of these things are only STARTING points to determine what kind of hardware you need. Things like spring rate, spring length, strut sectioning, 240 perches / camber plates, and other such things are REQUIRED information to start purchasing parts for a project like this.

I really don't mind questions like this because we all started somewhere - and the cars are 25+ years old. Just about everything has been done to them by now, but regardless - be prepared to be flamed by the admins for not searching more.

I've been doing more reading on the subject in my spare time and have found a couple answers to questions I had. It seams like every topic I find though is just people talking about possibilities but nothing I can find has any hard facts of what people have actually done.

As for your questions(I plan to search this stuff but if anyone has any suggestions I might as well post it here too:

- How much drop do you want? 4-6"

- Are you going to section your struts? Yes, I had planned too

- What wheel/tire combo do you want to run? Diamond racing 15x8's somewhere around 0 offset.

- Do you have fender flares? No

- Are you planning on running camber plates of any variety? Yes bolt in preferably

- What is the car used for (street, drags, auto-x, daily driver)? Street/AutoX

- Is money an issue? I only ask this one because you say you have no time to search. This means that you probably don't have the time to properly research and put together a kit of parts. Money is an issue I am young and have a fairly demanding job that will hopefully turn into something where money won’t be an issue.... but for now it is LOL

- How much drop do you want? 4-6"

The stock 240Z ride height is aorund 8" and a really low, good handling 240Z has about a 5" ride height (measured at the rockers). A 3" drop would be plenty for your goals.

- Are you going to section your struts? Yes, I had planned too

Print out the Strut Sectioning FAQ.

- What wheel/tire combo do you want to run? Diamond racing 15x8's somewhere around 0 offset.

Good choice with 225/50-15 tires. Probably the best tire and wheel size combination for a 240Z.

- Are you planning on running camber plates of any variety? Yes bolt in preferably

That will get you 1" of the 3" total drop you shoudl shoot for. The remaining 2" comes from the sectioning and ride height adjustment on the threaded lower spring perch.

- What is the car used for (street, drags, auto-x, daily driver)? Street/AutoX

Print out the Strut FAQ.

- Is money an issue? I only ask this one because you say you have no time to search. This means that you probably don't have the time to properly research and put together a kit of parts. Money is an issue I am young and have a fairly demanding job that will hopefully turn into something where money won’t be an issue.... but for now it is LOL

Money is always an issue, even if you have a lot of it. I charge $500 to disassemble, clean, media blast, cut, weld, weld on the lower threaded collar ring, and paint a set of 240Z struts. You can do most of that yourself and save about $400 of that if you have a welder just do the welding for you.

So... based on what you've said so far...

I would say to go with 8" coilovers with EMI (bolt in) camber plates from JohnC - probably 200 front / 225 rear spring rate springs. For shocks - it depends on how much section you want (2" is the norm for 240's I think). I have a 280 - so I don't know the recommended shocks for a sectioned strut (read the strut FAQ). If you are buying emi camber plates - the camber plate is the upper mount for the spring. You should be good to go. As Terry said - the strut insert diameter isn't an issue. The strut tubes are bigger for a 280, but I'm running 240Z front struts in the rear of my 280 (for example).

I would say to buy the coilover kit from modern motorsports, but I have been trying to get ahold of Ross (the owner) for 2 weeks - and he hasn't returned my emails or PM's. He forgot to ship my upper spring perches with my order (http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=120775) Kind of a shame - I have $430 burning a hole in my pocket to buy some of his billet Z31 companion flanges, but since he won't return my emails - I'm sure as hell not going to send him more of my money.:icon50:

Maybe ground control is a better choice for a coilover kit nowadays?

So... based on what you've said so far...

I would say to go with 8" coilovers with EMI (bolt in) camber plates from JohnC - probably 200 front / 225 rear spring rate springs. For shocks - it depends on how much section you want (2" is the norm for 240's I think). I have a 280 - so I don't know the recommended shocks for a sectioned strut (read the strut FAQ). If you are buying emi camber plates - the camber plate is the upper mount for the spring. You should be good to go. As Terry said - the strut insert diameter isn't an issue. The strut tubes are bigger for a 280, but I'm running 240Z front struts in the rear of my 280 (for example).

I would say to buy the coilover kit from modern motorsports, but I have been trying to get ahold of Ross (the owner) for 2 weeks - and he hasn't returned my emails or PM's. He forgot to ship my upper spring perches with my order (http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=120775) Kind of a shame - I have $430 burning a hole in my pocket to buy some of his billet Z31 companion flanges, but since he won't return my emails - I'm sure as hell not going to send him more of my money.:icon50:

Maybe ground control is a better choice for a coilover kit nowadays?

I did the sectioned strut deal on my 76 280z, and you really don't have to worry about that much. If you are planning on running with camber plates, I would NOT recommend sectioning the struts because the car will be too low (and I cut out an inch and a half all around!). I'm running sectioned struts with the stock top hats and the car is almost too low even on the highest point of the threaded sleeves (Ground Control sent me the 4" sleeves). Adding camber plated will lower the car another inch on top of that!

If you are determined to chop the strut tubes, then yes, the smaller diameter struts work fine, the gland nut holds everything in place. Use the MR2 struts in the front, but if you want illuminas, simply get the 280z rear struts for the rear, heres why: There's a metal spacer pressed onto the bottom of the rear struts that you can cut down the same amount as the strut tube to keep everything the same length. It's really pretty simple once you get down to doing it. PM me if you want, I just finished the project a couple months ago. Handles great.

Interesting. Is this spacer pressed into the strut tube? If so, how is it removed ("pressed" implies it will not fall out when the tube is turned upside-down).

I bought a set of these struts!!!!! When the spacer is removed its the same length as the stock fronts. All it is is a front insert with spacers so it will fit the rear. .... Atleast the ones i received. The spacer is a slip fit and pulls right off.