HybridZ

Anyone ever thin body filler?

G.I.jonas

Yep I used to buy damaged long tubes of filler from a supplier. Sometimes they had dried out a bit so I would spoon out the dryish stuff and mix resin in it and use it for butcher work on used clunkers and such. Mix in bondo grater shavings and it makes good fill for rot box quarters and tailgates..LOL

I also used to thin it with resin to use it instead of spot putty because the old puttys used to crack easier..

On American Hotrod it showed a scene where the bodyshop guy was adding something to the bondo to make it spread easier. The stuff is called Plastik Honey, and it works great. I always wondered how they got the bondo to spread over a whole panel without leaving voids. Thinning the bondo just a little bit with this stuff makes it spread like cake frosting, and it's way easier to get it to spead out thin. It got to where I would alway cover the whole panel and then use a long sanding board (17") to smooth it out. When the sanded bondo gets to where it's almost translucent, that's when you quit sanding. Try the stuff and you'll save tons of time.

Yes....fiberglass resin...stir it in.... Filler is fairly cheap though, I wouldnt use your mix on anything realy important. The resin is almost the exact thing in the filler and you will find it works well...I do it when it needs to be a realy thin coat or slick wipe...

hmmmm thats a good idea.

Hmm...didnt find that.Anyway im not really trying to make any kind of "super filler" just wanted to try and save some old stuff i had.I always use evercoat rage gold as it goes on excellent and donsnt sand like granite as the chep stuff does,A.K.A Bondo brand,bond tite and others.This is why i always refer to it as mud or filler rather than bondo,just because bondo isnt filler,its a brand of crappy 2 part stuff.

Any bodyfiller you buy at hardware or regular autoparts places tends to be low cost and poor quality. Find an automotive paint store in your area and they will guide you on what to use for what situation... I like Rage Gold. There are other good quality fillers as well and some places even have "house brands" that are just the good stuff repackaged in store named cans for marketing. When you find a good store, use it for all of your body needs and as they get used to seeing you they will give you better pricing. Remember as with anything you tend to get what you pay for so don't let some of the pricing scare you. Good sandpaper and quality tapes and such last longer and do a better job...

Polyester puttys are great for dings and smoothing panels allover. The can be bought in squirt tubes and spread like cake frosting. My favorite brand is even called "Icing"

Yes icing is great stuff.

bondo bad? then

what is a good brand name?

As i have stated as well as ledphoot,you cant go wrong with evercoat brand.Even their lower end stuff is better than the cheap stuff.In my experience evercoat rage gold is the best ive used.