HybridZ

stand alone comparison??

G.I.jonas

I have a vg30dett basically stock parts wise,however i do plan on getting what i can out of the engine as is(400hp being a reasonable limit).I am very interested in the megasquirt kit.I like all the features and user friendlyness,not to mention everyone here raves about them.What im wondering is...on searching efi ecu's i decided to check out another name im familiar with,Haltech.Now,can anyone please explain why there is a $1000 difference in these units? Is haltech like the preppy boy bmw of ecu's or something,or am i retarded?:icon11:

Check Out ECU-882 (AKA: Redline Weber Fuel Management)

In fact, anyone familiar with the Megasquirt should consider stopping by their site to check out the ECU-882. The interface is VERY similar to the MS, but the setup if much more powerful, running a 140mhz processor. If you can do the Megasquirt, the Redline/Pantera system will look very similar.

The main advantages of Motec, as far as I am concerned (not about serious telemetry, complex variable cam control, etc.) are -

Map/Bap - Has the option of using Map/Bap(barometric) to continuously compensate for changing pressures. This simple algarithm gives a perfect representation of how barometric pressures are affecting elevation, as this is a simple function of the pressure ratio across the engine. You would be suprised how recently this was figured out. Newer versions of MS do feature this, but they dont feature....

Map/E-Map - Manifold absolute pressure over exhaust manifold absolute pressure. This not only is more accurate than Bap for N/A, it is a fabulous feature to have on a Turbo'd engine.

MAP correction - This is kinda complicated. Its basically just a different way for the computer to interpret the VE tables. With MAP correction the VE % in the table is relative to the MAP, and not barometric. This is most easily demonstrated by example, which I happen to have from another discussion.-

Heres a normal VE table -

MAP.jpg

And heres the same one, MAP corrected-

MAPCorrected.jpg

You could immagine how this helps when tuning.

Those are the main ones, asside from that it just has a great interface. Tuning it is a breeze, but honestly I find MegaTune's live tuning interface easier (and I love Motec's!).

Oh, and SEQUENTIAL INJECTION!!!!! Of course.

When deciding on Megaquirt, or commercially available units, you need to decide if fixing it yourself is OK. Commercially units have a warranty, and support. The MS support community is quite good (actually better than most manufacturers), but when it breaks, you have to fix it. If you purchase a pre-built unit from one of the builders out there, they will typically fix a unit for a fee. If you start experimenting with some of the other features in MS (Extra code), you are on your own for the most part (except for sites like this).

There are a number of aftermaket units out there that are great. They all have hundreds of features and capabilities. Enough to make your head spin at least a couple times.

I like MS for it's simplicity. If everything is wired right, most new installs fire up right away. MT is an easy to use software package that let's you make changes in real time while the engine is running. There are still commercial units out there that can't do this. There are bugs, and untested features in MS (not that there aren't bugs in commercial units).

Yea, MS doesn't do sequential fuel or ignition, but for 95% of all applications, it is not needed.

Again, the decision is if you want a company backing up your investment or not.

Again, the decision is if you want a company backing up your investment or not.

Well considering the financial savings i dont think back up is that much of an issue,i have so many things i need for my car that i cant justify $2000 for an ecu.Not to mention i kind of like the idea of building from a kit.

my ms system works good -but the amount of research it took (reading on the internet)added up to a lot of time.i tore my car apart and upgraded other systems to make sure the ms would work with the bigger motor.but my car is a daily driver now.any efi system will have trouble if the supporting systems(steady voltage,good grounds,good fuel pressure and volume)are not up to spec.