HybridZ

Z32 MAF/ECU Running on 280ZX non-turbo!!!

Hey guys, i got into one of my mad rages at the stock system today and became superproductive lol, my recent soldering of the 300zx pigtails and analyzations of both wiring diagrams have all come together today. She fired right up after having numerous starting problems with stock system!! Anyways, Id like a little help working some kinks out. Once all these kinks are worked out i will write a sticky, just like the Z32 MAF/ECU to 280ZXT swap, but for N/A.

ok, first off. I know for a fact i will figure these problems out tomorrow so if noone has a clue, dont worry, i just like to see what people know. Also, half of these problems are probobly from not having the CAS hooked up, which i have an optical ignition in place of the CAS.

#1 It has no idle whatsoever- you cant let your foot off gas or it dies.

#2 If you stab the gas if backfires really hard out the intake

I have the injectors hooked up in a sequence, 6,5,4,3,2,1 just like they are on the stock 280ZX setup. Whereas on the 300ZX it goes 1,3,5,2,4,6 so i switched them accordingly. Did i do the right thing?

Also, does anyone have any ideas on how to hook up the Crane Cams XR3000 to make it work as a CAS? like i said, ill be able to figure it out tomorrow but id like to know if anyone knows. Do you think i would be able to eliminate the crane cams box and hook the optical trigger up to the ECU?

Also, id like to see what each wire for the MAF does, since i couldnt figure it out, i just ran 4 wires from engine bay to ECU and grounded one out.

I also couldnt figure out how i would hook up the throttle valve switch since there is one more wire on the stock 280ZX one.

I still need to run 2 wires from the ECU straight to the coil, but i think i already tied them in correctly through the stock system, ill have to check tomorrow.

Tomorrow, i will post more details/pictures.

Any help would be greatly apreciated ! =)

Thanks,

Paul

this is what im going to start looking into, you need a 280zx dizzy, with the early 300zx chopper wheel for a sensor. that will give the ecu a place to reference off of. you didnt metion this, so start there. also on the turbo ones, there is some resistors that need to be changed, i just havent read enough to "get it" i want to do this on my n/a cause im tired of the crap 79 system.

• Administrators
does anyone have any ideas on modifying NA 280zx dizzy for the 300ZX sensor and chopper wheel? i tried yesterday with one of my extra dizzys but it didnt work like i thought it would.

You're not giving enough information on what part isn't working out for you.

More than one person has done this swap... why not ask this question (with some detail) on the thread that's DEDICATED to this conversion?... http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=91250&highlight=z31+MAF+swap.

does anyone have any ideas on modifying NA 280zx dizzy for the 300ZX sensor and chopper wheel? i tried yesterday with one of my extra dizzys but it didnt work like i thought it would.

If you get an 82-83 280zxt distrib, you just swap chopper wheels. The n/a distrib isn't big enough to fit the CAS into... so buy an 82-83 dizzy & you'll be set.

If you get an 82-83 280zxt distrib, you just swap chopper wheels. The n/a distrib isn't big enough to fit the CAS into... so buy an 82-83 dizzy & you'll be set.

You will also need the 280ZXT distributor/oil pump drive shaft. It's unique to the 280ZXT distributor. It's NLA from Nissan, so just be sure to get a good used one (along with the turbo distributor).

• 1 month later...

i was wondering what you have to do to put a 300zx dizzy in a l28 76 280z? or will i have to find a much latermodel dizzy from a 82-83 280zx? i am going to be using a megasquirt and wanted to know how and what i need to do to use a chopper wheel dizzy. car is all stock now with a dual pickup dizzy. need the other one to be able to use the MSnS in my car. any help would be useful! BTW i did a serch and came up with zip.