HybridZ

14 days to build a racecar

My Dipshit coworker and competitor has bet me a single dollar than I can't make the car run and keep it running through at least 1 practice session for the race weekend of the 18th/19th of this month. His dollar is worth a million to me. I think I can make it happen.

The car's current condition: Caged body with 20 year old unknown "performance suspension" under it with stock brakes, no motor/trans, interior is cleaned up, pilot seat installed, primer paint job (soon to be camo primer paint job).

After many speedbumps, I finally got a motor together, not exactly what I wanted, but I figure 600HP is enough for a 2200lb road race car. I just finished up the strut sectioning/front brake bracket gussets tonight, sealed up the motor, aligned the bellhousing and bolted the TKO600 on it. It will go in the car in morning. The springs just showed up today from H&R, I'll use the threaded perches off my VW, and I've got all the parts to put the whole thing together. Wish me luck.

Here's the official thread:

http://roadrace-autox.com/bbs/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=3809&posts=23#M79740

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little behind schedule...couldnt' find anyone to help push the car into the garage yesterday (sloped driveway). Its 2:00 sun. and the motor and trans are in, new trans mount fabbed up, wiring almost done.

Some shots from yesterday

th_Datsunbuild006.jpg

th_Datsunbuild005.jpg

My quicky alternator bracket

th_Datsunbuild007.jpg

And it's in

th_Datsunbuild008.jpg

I only had to cut the shifter hole about 3 inches for the TKO600 gearbox

th_Datsunbuild009.jpg

And here's a shot of the dash, but that was done last week.

th_Datsunbuild010.jpg

Taking a beer break now, its hot outside.

12 days left

Does anyone have any insight as to whether the header wrap and plug wire wrap will keep the wires cool enough to not melt? It'd be a real pain in the ass to do all this if I'm gonna have to find different headers or straight plug heads

I'm done for the day. Got the plug wires cut and fitted, made brackets for the griffin radiator and installed it, mounted up the oil cooler, and ran a little more wiring. Lots of running around tomorrow, I'll post more pics tomorrow night.

Does anyone have any insight as to whether the header wrap and plug wire wrap will keep the wires cool enough to not melt?

You should be fine, but maybe run a duct from the holes in the side of the core support that points at the headers around the spark plug wires.

Well, not much progress made today either, but I gathered up more parts. JohnC at BetaMotorsports went out of his way to get me a set of EMI camber plates in less than 24 hours. I picked those up today, and also picked up my driveshaft. $300 for a custom driveshaft with a C6 front yoke and rear datsun flange that uses a GM u-joint. Not a bad deal. The guy built it for me in less than 24 hours, I ordered it yesterday at noon and picked it up this morning at 9. I got the front suspension together, but now I'm waiting/trying to find a set of 2" wheel spacers for the rear so I can bolt on my 17x10.5s with 315/35/17 rubber. The 17x9 with 295s cleared by 1/2" in the front without spacers, I was amazed.

Made some good progress tonight. I finished up the front suspension and set the car down on the ground.....its looowwww. Gonna have to raise it an inch or so I think. Got all the brake hard lines plumbed.

For the clutch slave, I used a pull type like in the Sticky in the driveline forum, but I used a HOWE unit from summit. Same basic specs but 1/2 the price. Drilling and cutting the fork sucked. I also ended up cutting out some of the firewall/tunnel to make it fit.

Also got all the braided lines hooked up under the hood. Here's some pics from tonight.

th_Datsunbuild015.jpg

th_Datsunbuild012.jpg

th_Datsunbuild011.jpg

I might make it.....8 days left

UPDATE: Things are going well. Last night I made new hardlines for the front brakes because they were kinked. Today I rebuilt the rear suspension, welded on new spring perches, built a R200 diff with a Quaife and put that in, machined and welded on brackets for the rear calipers, and bolted everything together in the back of the car. Cut out the trunk floor and made the fuel cell hangers and installed the cell and plumbed the fuel system. I'm taking a break now to pick metal splinters out of my hands.

Only problem I've encountered today....my new driveshaft is too long. I have to get it shortened and rebalanced on monday.

Tomorrow I'll finish the wiring, get an upper radiator hose, and figure out another alternator bracket.

Monday, pick up banjo bolts for the rear calipers, get driveshaft shortened, get correct lug nuts and a few more studs (I seem to have lost them), fill all the fluids and fire it up. I'm going to go register it monday morning, so if all goes well, I can drive it to work on tuesday.

5 days left (I have to leave on Friday morning)

Oh, another problem I need some help with. I sold my dolly, and planned on borrowing my buddies trailer...but he sold it. I need an open trailer, preferably with brakes...in SoCal. If anyone has one for sale reasonably, lemme know. If I can't find one...I'll guess I'll just drive the car to mexico for the race....that should be worth another dollar.

More pics tomorrow.

Special thanks to JohnC at BetaMotorsports all his good advise and for not letting me walk out of his shop without a set of 5 inch threaded shock collars...even though I didn't want them. turns out I needed them for the rear. John, I'll be sending you another check :wink:

Also, special thanks to Stuart at Techna-fit for all my -AN and brake lines, If anyone needs any custom -AN lines or SS brake lines, give him a call at 310-212-5051