HybridZ

Is this a Viscous LSD?

z-ya

Anyone know if this is a viscous LSD? It is an R160 from a Subaru. Note the ratio! At first I thought it was an open differential as output shafts turn opposite direction when one is turned. It doesn't look like a normal open diff.

P1010003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010006.jpg

Yeah Warren, I have the same problem. VLSD with no long axle. I actually made mine from a Q45 diff. I took the VLSD out of the short nose R200 and put it into a long nose R200 2 years ago. Still no axles.

And yes, that does look like a viscous diff to me.

Joe

I hear ya...but just for the record, I've got dibs on the first set that come available as a result of this post....hehe :) (considering I've been looking for them for about 4 years now, it's unlikely, but you never know who has what laying around.)

Warren

I just KNEW somebody would ask that... Here is a comparison between the right shafts and the wrong shafts for the VLSD.

The shafts at the top are for the VLSD. The bottom ones are for the CLSD. If you don't have the right shafts for the VLSD, it just won't work properly. PERIOD! (some will say it will work, but there is a possibility of one of them coming out as the snap rings that actually hold them in won't engage).

shaftcompare.jpg

Question: when you spin one of the half shafts on a VLSD, does the other turn in the opposite direction like an open diff? This is what this R160 does with no fluid in it. Does a VLSD require fluid for the limited slip action to work? The ratio is 4.44:1 BTW.

I have an R160 VLSD here, I've not looked inside it yet but will tonight and post some pics...mine has the input shafts with 2 missing splines. With no oil in both outputs turn the same way when you turn the input.