HybridZ
Hey_You

Engine swap possibility (for CA)

Well yea, they're just gonna say that. What I said was in regards as to why the rules are in place. The tech's just inforce you're right. They don't really judge anything. They just go by the book (whatever they know of it).

In CA it's really tough because by state law ANY mod "could" be illegal, and to really find out you have to talk to your local ref. Some refs might consider an intercooler illegal, but mine doesn't, and he does most of the swap legalizations in the bay area and foreign conversions that come in from oakland port.

when i used to smog used cars at local ford dealer i failed a few for aftermarkit parts-all parts mounted to car have to have a bar exemption sticker somewhere around the engine compartment.so if the car has 3 parts(cold air kit.header,etc) should have 3 stickers.i pissed the used car manager off because i failed a very heavily modded 5.4l lightning pick up -list of mods is too many to type.it wouldnt communicate with the obd2 on the smog machine and was running rich also.the idiot bought it at the dealer auction.as far as the ref on swaps-i have run 2 cars through-my z and a 84 el camino i put a chevy tpi motor in-they passed first time at the ref and got thier door stickers for the swap.you really need to know completely the theory behind how this stuff works if you want to make a car pass and look like it was assembled at a factory and not hacked up.