HybridZ

What battery should I get for a SBC swap into a 78 280Z?

So how much did you shave off your quarter mile times when you put in that Optima?

Or by "improve" do you mean impressing people at car shows where nothing moves?

You do realize there are other brands of batteries besides Everstart and Optima? I think I paid $90 for my last battery. Doesn't seem cheap to me.

Pop, just get the battery you want. I'm not saying you or anyone else has to get an Optima, it is purely my recommendation. Your questions are obviously rhetorical and don't even deserve a response.

Pop, just get the battery you want. I'm not saying you or anyone else has to get an Optima, it is purely my recommendation. Your questions are obviously rhetorical and don't even deserve a response.

My questions were phrased in a manner intended to illicit a humorous response, but they are most definitely not rhetorical. I am simply challenging the logic of your claims.

A high brow tone just doesn’t do much to convince anyone why a battery that costs twice as much is “betterâ€.

What I worry about are things like what type of CCA and reserve capacity I am getting for my money. I am not too worried about spilling or having it run over by a truck. I am pretty sure I will never mount it upside down. That type of advertising rhetoric just doesn’t mean much to me.

If I had a high compression motor that had to turn over in cold weather, or a car that will sit in the garage through the winter, then that might make the more expensive battery a more cost effective option.

But for a car that has to run on pump gas, such an expensive battery sure does seem like a waste of money. I mean, once the car is started the type of battery doesn't do anything to improve performance. So all it needs to do for me is start my car.

I don't doubt it is a technically superior battery. I just feel the extra money could be better spent on something that actually improves performance. $90 will buy a lot of Jim Beam.

But there is always the car show…..

Did you check out the link I inserted in my previous post? It will answer all your questions regarding the benefits of an Optima battery.

Ok, on the particular link you gave it simply has a chart showing the Optima battery lasting twice as long as a conventional battery. I didn't look any further at the time because it looked like that was all the information they gave (very brief and non-specific):

technical_specs.RowPar.0001.ContentPar.0001.ColumnPar.0010.Image.0.0.gif

So later I figured you must have meant somewhere else in the website (and not in the specific link) and I went to "product info" and they have this chart:

starter.RowPar.0005.ContentPar.0001.ColumnPar.0001.Image.0.0.gif

Now I don't really see the benefit of cranking a starter 100 amps more than the traditional 1100+ amps (according to the chart). Who cranks their car for 10 seconds? Regardless, the increase is less than 10% and probably not noticeable. Their warranty is 36 months which is the same as any other decent battery I would think. I'm not saying they're not better, I was just wanting some specifics on the battery that you guys recommended and yes I looked at the very non-informative link.

I believe the Odyssey is a better battery than the Optima, for the weight, life, deep cycle, extended "storage" use a lot of seasonal hot rods use.

I just buy a cheap battery usually, but I am considering an Odyssey since the cheap batteries don't seem to tolerate my lax usage habits (long periods of non-use without a trickle charger). But I have a neighbor with a kit Cobra, a Cobra Mustang, and 4 HD motorcycles that get used ocassionally and seasonally. He used to replace batteries all the time and once he started using a battery tender on them they last for many years. So maybe I just need to change my habits :D

Let me make this very clear, run whatever batery you want. Do your own investigation and make your own determination of what works best for your specific requirements.

Here's some info from the Optima site:

Lasts up to 2 times longer than other batteries.

More power in the initial 1, 3, 5, and 10 seconds of the starting process than comparably rated conventional lead acid batteries.

Constant performance quality keeping your battery running at the same level even as it's being discharged.

Ideal for seasonal use, fully charged, it can sit unused for up to 12 months at room temperature (or below) and still start a car.

15 times more resistant to vibration than other batteries.

Nonspillable and can mount in almost any position.

If it does indeed last 2 times longer, than that helps justify the price difference. I started with a regular battery followed by an Odyssey (the small one), and then the Optima. My experience is that the Optima makes my engine start quicker and easier then the other batteries I used. It also works well regardless of how long my car has been sitting.

I don't sell Optima's and if you don't think you need it, by all means don't. No matter what comments are made regarding car shows are whatever else gets posted to this thread I will no longer respond. It's just a stupid battery, take the advice or don't; it really doesn't make any difference to me either way.

i just picked up a brand new, tested optima redtop (800 CCA) from craigslist for $100.

the reason i bought an optima is because i am running higher compression and am relocating the battery to the rear; so higher CCAs are somewhat important to me. also, since they are GEL cell, they will not leak acid, and because they are sealed they will be LESS likely to emit hydrogen gas (they can if overcharged) than a standard lead acid battery.

the reason i bought an optima is because i am running higher compression and am relocating the battery to the rear; so higher CCAs are somewhat important to me. also, since they are GEL cell, they will not leak acid, and because they are sealed they will be LESS likely to emit hydrogen gas (they can if overcharged) than a standard lead acid battery.

...Which is exactly why I love the spiral cell batteries like the Optima. I don't think I'll buy another standard battery again.

Davy