HybridZ

whats the best L28 combo?

Guest thuartson

Guest thuartson

i just bought my first zee and was wondering what a good setup is to run a high compression non-turbo L28 and what are the best components to use>??

Alright if I don't say something now you are going to get yelled at...

do a search to find out good combos and read the FAQ secton of this site. Great info...

What are your plans? do you want something quick to ride around backroads or do you want a fire breathing track machine?

You can build a fairly cheap fun motor from junkyard parts for under $1000 with new bearings and gaskets and such...

good read: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=116680

i know i shouldn't partake in this thread, but i will simply tell you my combo -

F54 block (with flattop pistons)

N42 head

schnieder stage IV cam/valvetrain (thanks john!)

good ol' SUs

MSA 6-1 header

2.5" exhaust to super turbo muffler

expecting ~10.5:1 comp ratio

Jason: That sounds like a pretty good combo. I'm just worried that you may not have enough carburetor for that much motor.

Then again it sounds awesome for a strong street motor that won't be living above 4k...

I am running an L26 with L24 flattops (9.2:1)and it needs more fuel... I lose a lot of power above 6000 and I think it is because of the fact that I have a mild cam and the carburetors are too restrictive.

Looking to get a big cam and 40-45mm tripples.

I have a stripped MN47 (39cc chambers) just sitting there begging for bigger valves and a HOT cam...

That would get me to 10.2:1 unless I got the Nismo .6mm headgasket. That would get me into the 11:1 range.

I just don't think the ol' SUs can provide enough fuel for my RPM and compression aspirations...

Maybe if I got my hands on some better needles...

We really need a better hipo L6 FAQ. Search and there are some much more informative threads in the archives.

Heres something that might help him. Id like to add the best combo ive ever built. Really easy to build.

F54 block with flat top pistons

P90a head shaved .08 with .08 shims under the cam towers

Stock intake and stock exhaust manifold

It was a good combo for pump gas, when gas was affordable a couple of years ago. I found the specs for that engine on some geocities webpage of a guy named Brian.

Jason: That sounds like a pretty good combo. I'm just worried that you may not have enough carburetor for that much motor.

Then again it sounds awesome for a strong street motor that won't be living above 4k...

OTM - i dig your setup! can't wait to see the MN47 built up :D

and yes, i know that the SUs are going to be my weak link. i'm going to get SM needles for them for the time being; although i'll still be choking a bit. eventually i'm going to go with 45-50 mikunis

OTM - i dig your setup! can't wait to see the MN47 built up :D

Thanks!

It definitely sounds a lot different than any other first gen Z I have heard...

I'm also trying to find a set of mikuni or similar carbies to free up my top end power since I don't have much low end power anymore from the light flywheel and raised compression.

I'll do my own porting on the MN47 intakes as well. Exhaust liners can stay as-is.

Need the bigger valves and a good valve job...

This MN47 head will be used on a turbo build down the road too so it will probably get a turbo cam regrind...

heres mine, its really odd. n47 block, bored out, pistons stick above block .020. p79 head, decked .080, with custom one piece .080 shims. got 2mm gasket and cr of about 10.8:1 talk about the hard way to do it. bought stock over size flat top pistons, and they stick up on stock rods and crank. go figure. my other motor, f54 block (stock flattops), p79 with the same treatment, 10.5:1 cr. much easier and cheaper.

That's a real can of worms, almost as bad as the dreaded "Q" word... Search MN47, find posts by Mack and 1 fast z. I'd say look for me, but I'm such a post whore that you'll have a hard time finding anything.

here's the link if anyone else was wondering

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=105653&highlight=mn47&page=2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running a 1mm over 2.8 with flattops, Isky L9 cam and a modified E31 head (not my first choice, but it's what I had at the time) with 280Z valves and 5cc removed from each chamber. I have had 2 sets of tripple Webbers, 3 different 4 bbl setups and dual SU's. The SU's ran out of punch at 5800 until I put in 3/8" fuel lines. Now it pulls clean to 7K. I won't run anything else until I get around to FI.

i know i shouldn't partake in this thread, but i will simply tell you my combo -

F54 block (with flattop pistons)

N42 head

schnieder stage IV cam/valvetrain (thanks john!)

good ol' SUs

MSA 6-1 header

2.5" exhaust to super turbo muffler

expecting ~10.5:1 comp ratio

i have those SM needles if youd like them. I ran that almost exact setup and it pulled strong to 7k. Youll need a better fuel pump most definitely.