HybridZ

help me id this LSD

tec280zx

I'm not entirely sure. But check this out:

VLSD: Dscf0109.jpg

CLSD: R200_NISMO_ramps1.JPG

It doesn't look like either of those...

It is definitely not a gear driven LSD either. There are some LSDs that look almost like open carriers, but not really in the Nissan world so far as I know. So without taking it apart, looks like a 4 pinion open to me.

hmm...well both sides spin the same direction if I turn the pinion end. I'm going to the yard tomarrow, so i'll check out some other pathys with lsd and see what they look like.

They all do that, because the pinion turns the ring and there is no reason for the differential to differentiate. Spin one side shaft and see what the other one does. It's not a gear driven, so if it spins in the opposite direction with no more resistance than the gears in the carrier would give, then it has to be open.

UMMMM.... you must hold the pinion still while turning one side shaft.

An easier way to appoach this may be to simply TRY to turn the side shafts in opposite directions... A clutch type LSD will take considerable effort to overcome the preload on the clutch disks and allow the side shafts to turn opposite each other. This is regardless of pinion rotation.

If you can turn the wheels(side shafts) in the opposite directions with little effort then it is an open diff. There is always some internal drag in ANY differential. The difference is that a CLSD will require a lot(>50 ft/lbs) of muscle to turn the side shafts in the opposite directions.