HybridZ

Need 17" rims for local time attack

So I have done some searching and had to post.

I have a hookup on 17" used racing slicks 245/40s and 275/40s. All I could ever use. Like a tractor trailor load half full.

I am trying to find an inexpensive means to mount them on my 78. I have coilovers and flares.

Everything I see in a 17 with a 4x114.3 is made for honda with a 40-45 mm offset. Which would place the tire way inside the well. Need something with a 0 offset for under $500 a set.

New used oem doesnt matter. Just trying to get some race rubber on for the local time attack

Adapters? Spacer Plates? When I say honda rims I mean they sell alot of rims to fit honda they usually have 2 bolt patterns on one rim 4x100 and 4x 114.3 which is 4x4.5. They all have 40 - 45mm offset so I need to buy a spacer that is equal to the offset to bring it back to 0. Is this correct?

you need a adapter to make the honduh wheels fit. spacers wouldnt be adviseable for racing. you can find cheap adapters on ebay, but if you want get some thing that is proven, get the modern-motorsports ones, email him, but be patient, it takes time sometimes. after that, any honduh wheel fits, and they are a dime a dozen. how bout sending 4 245's my way!!

After adding the cost of adapters and the fact that they are not recommended for racing I am going to give Diamond Racing wheels a call. The are steel and heavy but I can get the right size for under $150 a wheel. I will check out the tires hard and see if they are fit to be sold. I think most are hoosiers r series.

that's what i was thinking.....

You boys would both be wrong. Spacers are used ALL THE TIME in racing... Wheel spacers are a very common site in many a racing trailer tool box...

Mike

HMMM

OK I am confused. Guess I will have to look it up. Of course I am not going to go racing scca and nasa anytime soon. May do some DEs. So I am sure that if there are rules like that it applies to competition events only. But there has to be a reason for such a rule if it exists. What are bad about spacers. Does it put extra stress on the hubs/studds? Does it run a greater risk of breaking. Is there some reason not to run spacers? I am still leaning towards Diamond Racing Steelies because I want a 10" rim.

Joe, Use some ARP wheel studs and buy some decent selections of spacers from someplace like S&W Racecars. Just beware...Good spacers can run a few bucks.

Also, I'd check w/ Discount tires direct. They might have some decent wheels with a "close" offset for your application.

You could also think about going to 5 lug and getting some cheap Mustang wheels!

Mike

i got these FN01R-C's and they fit great with flares and coilovers, no spacers. 17x9F and 17x10R at lowest offsets ran me $800 flat, but I picked them up when I was in town, so that's without shipping. i'm running corvette 245'sF and 285'sR un-stretched so they would suit your slicks just right.

ah crap, just remembered theyre 5 lug.. anyway just some info that for sure works.