HybridZ

My PayPal Account Compromised

Bartman

Someone got access to my PayPal Account and made charges of $288, $77.90 and $60. I guess it happened yesterday and I found it this morning while checking my bank accounts. They show up as pending with my bank, so I called them to try and get them to not pay; but they told me that they pay electronic transfers right away even though they show as pending for a while.

PayPal was down for a while, but when it came back up I had to answer additional questions and my account has limited access now. It looks like they paid the three questionable transactions, but then reversed them and are now holding the funds.

Hopefully there's no connection, but the last legitimate payment i made through PayPal was a donation to HybridZ.

:icon52:

• Administrators

It has nothing to do with HybridZ.

Our forum software does not store any paypal user info etc, you are redirected to the PayPal site to do the transaction just like if you were paying through eBay's site etc.

The fact that Paypal's site has been up and down today pretty much explains it, they must have had some security issue.

Thanks Bart for bringing this to attention, I made 4 purchases last night through Paypal / eBay, all have been cleared by the vendors and products shipped, but I'll be watching my bank account very closely now to make sure. Thanks,

Tyson

The fact that Paypal's site has been up and down today pretty much explains it, they must have had some security issue.

PayPal Outage Disrupts eBay, Online Sellers Friday

By Ina Steiner

AuctionBytes.com

June 01, 2007 Online sellers were reminded how dependent they are on eBay's online payment service when the PayPal site went down for several hours on Friday. eBay posted a message on its Systems Announcement Board at 10:25 am Pacific acknowledging the problem, and posted at 1:29 pm Pacific that the problem had been resolved.

One seller reported the outage on a message board at 7:17 am Pacific. An eBay forum post reported the problem started for them at 9:23 am Pacific. Another seller wrote that the timing of the outage was particularly bad coming "the morning after all the 20¢ listing auctions ended." (eBay held a 20-cent listing day on May 24.)

PayPal spokesperson Amanda Pires said the issue had to do with a database problem. "The site is up and running with full functionality now and we have a dedicated team to diagnosis the issues and its causes."

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/core/200706011328001.html

Guest 280ZForce

Bart, I've had unautorized transactions from payapl made before but my bank immediately called me about them because they seemed fishy. They were amounts pulled from somewhere in Europe.

But either way, I'd get on the phone w/ paypal asap and get that squared away with them. Don't rely on the online contact via paypal, it sucks. Call them, you might be put through hold and different people to talk to, but it's worth it when you know your funds are safely secured. Just make sure to stay on top of it.

Guest TeamNissan

I use a account just for paypal and never keep any money in it. I also told my bank not to take any transfers if there isnt enough money in the account to cover it.

I have never had any probs but still now even if there is most they canr eally get is 5 bucks lol.