HybridZ

Betamotorsports....MMMMM CARBON FIBER!!!

Mikelly

is it possible to use the original glass in the cf rear hatch?

Yes, but the glass is the heavyest part of the rear hatch so you would not loose much weight. Also the rear hatch has to be pinned on, there are no reinforced points for hinges or a lifting cyliner/arm.

Dragonfly

Yes, but the glass is the heavyest part of the rear hatch so you would not loose much weight. Also the rear hatch has to be pinned on, there are no reinforced points for hinges or a lifting cyliner/arm.

Dragonfly

i guess that does defeat the purpose...

Dragonfly

Pardon the random ignorant question..

..but Why can't such a lightweight hatch/lexan combo be hinged and used in a way similar to a normal hatch?? is the carbon fiber THAT incredibly prone to torsional flexing? I suppose its too much to ask for a tad of reinforcement or substructure to get a usable but still lightweight hatch..

It would seriously compromise the mold process and added labor, not to mention the added weight.

Lot's of folks want the "racecar" look without the "racecar" parts, and often the two don't work well together.

Mike

We can build the hatch for hinge mounting. We've done it a couple times by adding Jabroc or some other reinforcement in the hinge mounting area. The hinge has to be attached to the hatch with nuts and bolts, clamping the reinforced area, but its been done twice. Took about 6 hours to install and line up properly according to the last person that did it - and he swears he'll just order a pin-on hood next time.

I just want to replace mine with something that weighs a butt-load less. I am not looking at being able to do a great deal of weight reduction on my car, given what I want it to be.. and a normal functioning hatch that weighs much less than the stock one would be an EXCELLENT place to shed what, 20, 30 pounds? im not good at estimating weight on memory alone, and it has been a LONG time since I picked up a bare unhinged hatch with glass..

as for the "look" it would promptly be sanded smooth and finished body color; I have no desire for the "look" I just want to shed all the weight I can from my street car.

Basically, I am building a pipe dream in my head, and we shall see how close I ever get to it. Aim higher than you can possibly accomplish, and all that jazz.

What would the sticker be on one of those hoods, given that I did feel like going through the PITA of mounting it? Obviously it would be a piece that needed ginger treatment; not to be slammed about like a stock hatch..

So how much extra would that be?

Hinge area reinforcement is an additional $25 for a firberglass hood and $50 for a carbon fiber hood.

What would the sticker be on one of those hoods, given that I did feel like going through the PITA of mounting it? Obviously it would be a piece that needed ginger treatment; not to be slammed about like a stock hatch..

Fiberglass is $420 plus $25 for the hinge area reinforcement. Carbon fiber is $793 plus $50 for the hinge area reinforcement - but call before placing an order for the CF hatch, prices change frequently. More information is here:

http://www.betamotorsports.com and go to the Products page.

Hinge area reinforcement is an additional $25 for a firberglass hood and $50 for a carbon fiber hood.

Fiberglass is $420 plus $25 for the hinge area reinforcement. Carbon fiber is $793 plus $50 for the hinge area reinforcement - but call before placing an order for the CF hatch, prices change frequently. More information is here:

http://www.betamotorsports.com and go to the Products page.

Okay.. somehow I used the word "hood" once in my own post and I introduced some ambiguity, so I want to clarify.. (I never REALLY meant to say anything about a hood, just a hatch) Those were prices for fiberglass and CF hatches with a plastic rear window, correct? With and without hinge reinforcement?

five hundred dollars to permanently fix the rust on my hatch, and shed one of the biggest single masses that I can shave off of my car (ME, in MY plans for MY car, I am saying..) Plus shipping.. that is a pricetag I think I could eventually justify. Thank you for the tip

Okay.. somehow I used the word "hood" once in my own post and I introduced some ambiguity

For some reason I deciedced to take your ambiguity and expand on it. The prices I quoted above are for hatches not hoods.