HybridZ

Finally buffed the paint (pics)

mikeatrpi

Well after almost 9 months since I sprayed it, I finally wet sanded and buffed my 82. This is PPG Omni single stage acrylic enamel (hence the long wait time). I sanded with 3M paper 1500 and 2000 grits, then buffed with Meguiar's #85, #83, and #3. What a TON of work!

IMG_0215.sized.jpg

IMG_0223.sized.jpg

http://z.modeltrainguide.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album39

Thanks Ernie for the tips painting and Austin for posting the thread when you buffed your blue paint job. I found it very inspirational and helpful.

I finally wet sanded and buffed my 82. This is PPG Omni single stage acrylic enamel (hence the long wait time). I sanded with 3M paper 1500 and 2000 grits, then buffed with Meguiar's #85, #83, and #3. What a TON of work!

IMG_0215.sized.jpg

IMG_0223.sized.jpg

http://z.modeltrainguide.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album39

so what do u mean beacuse it was ppg single stage that u had to wait so long? bob

so what do u mean beacuse it was ppg single stage that u had to wait so long? bob

Bob: I waited because it was acrylic enamel, not because it was single stage. Actually they told me at the paint store that I could buff it quickly since I was using a hardener, but a buddy at work mentioned I should wait longer because it was acrylic. He said it should fully harden otherwise I could cause the finish to slip... he described sheets of paint moving around on top of one another.

That said, the only reason it was nine months was because of the winter in between! Plus I'm slow at putting up pictures! 30 days would have been fine, I believe. Perhaps Ernie will chime in.

Bob: I waited because it was acrylic enamel, not because it was single stage. Actually they told me at the paint store that I could buff it quickly since I was using a hardener, but a buddy at work mentioned I should wait longer because it was acrylic. He said it should fully harden otherwise I could cause the finish to slip... he described sheets of paint moving around on top of one another.

That said, the only reason it was nine months was because of the winter in between! Plus I'm slow at putting up pictures! 30 days would have been fine, I believe. Perhaps Ernie will chime in.

thsnks for the info. i was using single stage but i can't remember which i used on which car, i used both. So when i paint my 81 what would every one suggest I ude single stage and go thru all the extra work or try 2 stage? any thoughts?

tia bob

I chose single stage because I was doing a solid color. I read somewhere that black especially looked richer when done as single stage.

I also made the decision based on cost. However, I think next time I'll buy the acrylic urethane instead of enamel. I use the Omni AU on a different project after I painted the Z and it laid down oh-so-nicely. I buffed it just a few days later. The price jump wasn't terribly significant from AE to AU.