HybridZ

Power Distribution

I have multiple items on my installation that require power. Several items recommend connecting them directly to the battery, but I don't want a bunch of extra wires running all the way to my battery (relocated behind the passenger seat) so I installed an insulated terminal block where the stock batery used to sit. Well the one I installed diidn't work very well and I'm looking at getting something else. So what are you guys using?

This unit would connect the alternator to the battery as well as provide power to several other items such as fuse blocks. Maybe something like this would work good http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-GOLD-POWER-DISTRIBUTION-BLOCK-FOR-CAR-STEREO-AMPS_W0QQitemZ180125807522QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180125807522 ?

It should work fine, but I wouldn't use it to connect to the Alt to the batt. I'd run a straight shot to the battery from the Alt and then branch off the + side of the battery back up to the engine bay for the block. The less resistance between the alt and batt the better.

Thanks for all the info. I was really curious about the best way to run the wiring. So I should make a straight shot to the battery from the alternator, then run another wire to the distribution block, and then connect the fuse blocks to the distribution block. The distribution block I posted is generally used for multiple amps for a car stereo, but does it make sense for my installation? I'm going to trace all my wiring and label it (like I should have done initially) to figure out why I have so many wires going to my distribution block. Is using a distribution block unusual?

edit:

Here's a link to the insulated terminal block I was using:

http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/cn-1.shtml

In fact I wired it up just the way it is decribed on that web page. A couple of the wires were fried right at the connection to the terminal block so that's why I'm trying to figure out what the problem was and the best way to fix it.

I took a little bit of a different path than you for removing all the extra wires from the battery. I replaced my stock fuse block with one from a camaro which had several additional circuits on it.

you can kind of see it in this pic

P1010004-2.jpg

By doing this I am able to keep all the extra wires off the battery and have all my fuses in one place.

Dragonfly

I found a really good distribution block on the inside fenderwell of many 80s and early 90s volvos.. It is basically a plastic housing that holds a copper plate, that had about 8 male terminals stamped into it, and bent over to fit underneath a little cover. Peek around under the hood of a volvo, they are bolted to the fenderwheel in front of the wheel, i think on the battery side. It is easy to identify once you pop the cover off; but it just looks like a small black box with wires going into the bottom with the cover on.