HybridZ

Alternatord/Voltage issue

Having a problem with my dad's car - Stock 78 280z.

When the car is at idle, the voltage will have a normal reading ('normal' being the BS ~16v that the gauge typically reads on our cars), but the light on the gauge will be slightly lit. But when I start driving, the gauge lights up completely under acceleration and the needle moves all the way to the right, past 16v. I have replaced the alternator and battery, and also checked the main ground and power to/from the battery.

I'm guessing this is a bad ground somewhere, where should I be looking?

Thanks

Measure the voltage at the battery terminals with a real volt meter. If you have more than ~14.5 volts when you rev the engine to 2000 rpm then your voltage regulator is likely dead or not connected properly. I'm not sure if the 78 has internal or external voltage regulation.

Make sure you have a good solid connection between the battery and the alternator. Generally, go over all the grounds and wires looking for corrosion inside the wires. Disconnect and clean all terminals in the vicinity of the battery, regulator, starter, and alternator. Also, take out the fusible links under the white covers on the right inner fender. Clean all those connectors as well. I am assuming the regulator is working but might not be getting accurate voltage readings due to faulty connections or wires.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...