HybridZ

Best place to live near Charlotte, NC?

DavyZ

My suggestion is find where your employer is and choose based on the commute. Traffic can be a real bitch around Charlotte sometimes.

However, taxes in SC are significantly less than NC, so give that some thought. Income tax, property tax, and gas tax are 20-30% less in SC. Also, SC smog laws are MUCH friendlier to hot rods than most of NC. It varies because some laws are county to county, not statewide. Alcohol sales are "local option", which means they vary accoding to the area.

Both states seem about equal in terms of fat ugly bitches.

John

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was born and raised in Rock Hill (about 10 miles due South of Charlotte). Grew up on Lake Wylie. Great place back in the day, but IMO too expensive now. The land we sold on the Lake a few years ago (5 acres) has about 8 homes on it now and 500k wouldn't even sniff the smallest one.

I also spent about 8 years in Gaston County. Great schools, good bang for the buck. Check into it with your agent. Everyone around here thinks that there is no "upscale" in Gastonia. All you hear is redneck city! LOL! Let them keep thinking that. The schools are better than Charlotte and cost of living is not bad. Anyway, I would have NEVER moved from there except that I was offered a position near Columbia, SC last year. It was an offer I couldn't refuse. They did the relocation and gave me a salary that I never thought I would make (before I turned 40 years old anyway!). My wife was able to quit work and stay home with our kids, so everything is working out okay now.

If you don't mind a short drive and want to get acreage and a house, I would check into York (SC), Clover (SC), and Gaston (NC) counties. They are close enough that you will not have a long commute but your money will go a long way. Also check Fort Mill, SC and Waxhaw, NC. Any good agent from here should know all those areas. I spent over 20 years working in Charlotte and never lived there. I never would. Traffic can be a big problem in/around Charlotte. Ask these questions before you buy.

Send me a PM or shoot me an email if you need anything or have any questions. I'm about 50 miles down I-77 now, but a lot of my family are still in the area.

Tom

Hey Tdab,

Sorry to be so harsh on your home town but I was just giving my honest opinion - I don't like it there at all.

What high school did you go to? I went to Northwestern and escaped -er- graduated in 1978. :-)

Hey Tdab,

Sorry to be so harsh on your home town but I was just giving my honest opinion - I don't like it there at all.

What high school did you go to? I went to Northwestern and escaped -er- graduated in 1978. :-)

I didn't even see your reply! Oh well.. I will check it out later. I also went to Northwestern, then Winthrop.

You may know my uncle Curt Anderson? I think he went to Northwestern and graduated in 78 also, not sure. He is retired Air Force now, works for the PO in York.

Rock Hill was/is pretty much a hick town. York was the fastest growing county in SC the last 5-6 years. Didn’t do any good though. Just made it more expensive. Almost moved back there last year and was going to commute to Columbia everyday. Made the drive a few times....screw that. Moved just north of Columbia. Now I have big brand new house with all the extra's. You name it, all tile, granite, brand new appliances, smooth ceilings, hardwoods for days, garage, irrigation (on well), 4 bedrooms plus bonus and great schools. If I told you what I paid for it, you would say it is a lie! Got a $2500 rebate too. We did our homework and decided living in the woods was the way to go.

Did you ever cruise Cherry Road back in the day? Fun times man, fun times.

-Tom

The move time is nearly upon me and I have to get the Z to Charlotte. I have found very little in the way of transporters that I feel comfortable with (part of that is not having the time to do proper research). So I'm at a place where the-more-cash-I-have, the-better-the-transporters-look kind of place.

Also, my corporate housing is an apartment of sorts without a garage, so storing the non-running Z is not an option. Question: do the local storage companies allow storing of an automobile? Here in CA (Bay Area at least), they don't want to do that anymore due to "regulations." Phooey. I hope NC is better for that. Anyone want to put up with my ailing Z for a few weeks? :mrgreen:

Davy

I perhaps could give you a place to store the Z... it would be outside though.

You should be able to find a storage unit though. So do not want any cars in them but you can also find unit which can be used as garages and workshops thats what they are designed for. There are some near me in raleigh that people restor cars in and run small shops out of. Im sure there are some in charlotte.

UPDATE:

As it turns out, the office I'll be working out of is actually in Cherry Hill, SC, about 20 minutes outside of Charlotte. This means I'll want to locate a house south of Charlotte or in one of the towns to the south, for a better commute obviously. So, is the area in the south part decent? Any towns better than the other? Options? Advice? Bueller? ;)

Thanks for the advice, guys.

As an aside, I'm in the last hours' thrash getting the house remodeled. I actually believe I can finish this house project before the end of the month. This leaves a problem though: My Datsun isn't running and very few transportation companies will take a non-running car, apparently. I have to find a transporter before the end of the month *ugh* :(

Davy

If you dont mind a slightly longer commute, check out the Shelby area in Cleveland county. Great schools and good golf if that is your thing.