HybridZ

A big, BIG thank you, Alan Thomas (HS30-H)

240zrb

As I have been trying build a street legal car, I have run into some problems with the car tech inspectors. I had planned on a RB25DET, 8x17 and 10x17 wheels, tech inspectors said: NO WAY!

BUT!!!!!! Thanx to Alan, and all his help with info / documents on the S30, the tech inspectors now say OK!!!!

So, now I can finally get on building the car of my dreams:-)

Again, thank YOU Alan, this I could NOT have accomplished without your help!

Best regards

Svein-Ove

240zrb (yes, now it's going to be RB!)

No, I live in Norway:-)

But it's hard to get thing by the tech inspectors here as well.... I have been working for 18 months!, to get the RB and the 8" and 10" wheel combo approved.

At times I was thinking, this is never going to happend... (like when they sent the 3. negative answer)... BUT the 4. time the answer was OK!!!

Why would I need their approval.... Well, here in Norway it's like this:

If the cops pull you over (for what ever reason) they will check you dr license, AND the car dokuments... IF you have wider wheel on the car than whats stated in the documents, then they can: 1. take the cars licens plates (and you must leave it where it is...) and then you have to get the car inspected by the car tech guys... 2. If your lucky, get a warning and a date to show the car to tech guys... Well, you CAN go up 20 without getting it entered in the car documents (like from 175 to 195), but i'm going from 175 to 265 rear:-) and from 175 to 225 front:-)

Also one could have problems with the insurance company if something were to happen... car have been rebuilt without tech approval - insurance no longer valid...

i also must thank alan and another member at classiczcars for the same thing. In australia you can only go 1" wider than what was stock for "the vechicle series", so now i've got some material to argue it with them over :D

But...

Why do you need their "approval" ? Sounds like a George Orwell nightmare. Why do they need to approve wheel sizes???

Think about the accident avoidance capabilities of a 69 Camaro with 12" wide drag DOTs on the back and 3" pizza cutters on the front. I'm sure we've all seen them out on the highway. Bottom line is that car can't turn and it can't stop worth a damn. I understand why the government in Norway would do what they're doing, but I also agree that it is an Orwellian nightmare. "Public safety" is what is at stake, the question is: Whose responsibility is it? To a much larger extent here in the US the answer is you and I are responsible, in many other countries it's the govt.

Let's get back to thanking Alan. I'd hate to have to Tool Shed another thread due to politicizing it.