HybridZ

Tach signal

I am planing on running new ignition wiring. I have a crane cames ignition w/ msd blaster 2 coil. Attacted to the coil is 2 wires that run only to the ignition box, and 1 power wire from the balast resistor. I know that aftermarket tachs take their signal from the - side of the coil, my honda did too, so does our vette. where does the Z get its signal?

If i was gonna swap the tach, id prolly go AM or Sunpro(lolz). I was wondering because i am going to run new power wiring for the coil that draws from a fused line strait from the batt thru a relay. and im very curious of where the signal comes from. is there a wire that goes to the dizzy or something?

I don't have it in front of me but I do remember the JTR book showing the tach signal changing from an inductive source to the negative coil terminal. I thought it was done in 73 but I'm not 100% sure.Someone will have to chek the book for you.

Joe

• 2 months later...

The points based tach's are a direct copy of the Smiths setup so they have a loop from the + side of the coil. Here in NZ our 260z (up to 1978) still had a points based dizzy so therefore this older type + loop tach setup. So given how hard it is to find a 280z tach locally I took my tach to a local smith instruments guys who was known to have a conversion kit that can upgrade the UK Jag Smith based tachs from the + loop type to the modern - coil type. So a few days later and a new circuit board my 240z (and 260z) tach have been converted and calibrated to the more modern - coil signal type.

So much so is the Zed tach a copy of the Smith unit they even use UNC screws not metric like the rest of the car - makes you think that Nissan had a license to use these Smith style tachs in the cars in the first place.

If you want to have the stock tach look I would contact a local speedo/tach/instruments shop and tell them you have tach that is a copy of the Jag smith + loop type and do they sell/do a conversion kit.

I know the Jag kit works as this is what has been installed in my 240z tach.

Hope this info is of use.