HybridZ

Industrial LD28 and other Nissan motors being auctioned off... LD28T!!!

OlderThanMe

Don't know the specs...

They listed 73hp for the N/A and turbo motors...

Found a link to it on a random search. (not on HybridZ)

And it would not be LD28ET..Just LD28T.

It uses super high pressure fuel. Like astronomical numbers.

I found out that some of the LD20's were used in irrigation systems...

I'd say those LD28s have been converted to turbo, have a look at the oil feed lines for the turbo, both of them have the bolt holes to bolt to a petrol inlet manifold and one of the lines has been cut and a piece of rubber hose put in? Check out the position of the alternator on the 2nd one. And RD28s are crap stay away from them.

This brings the question... How fast could you build an LD28 to be?

I'd love to build an LD28T for a Z. If 300hp could be made I'd do it. It would definitely have a TON of torque compared to a gas motor.

Since a diesel motor puts out about half the force for a turbo a small~ish turbo could be used for 30 pounds of boost (like 15psi for a gas motor).

The diesel fuel injection could be modified from the stock setup to big stock injectors like off of a Cummins engine. The stock fuel system seems to be the biggest limiting factor on the LD28...

propane injection is an option... :-D

Maybe a Holset HX30 would be small enough for a LD28T with a big overbore/cylinder liners...

The stock zxt turbo manifold bolts on with a little modification to some bolt holes. There are a couple guys in the LD community that have turboed their LD motor with stock zxt stuff. Only using about 5-7lbs of boost though.

The LD28T has basically the same T3 that is on the gas engines, but with a .43 A/R on the turbine end...

One of the older Datsun Modification books shows a 280Z with a Turbodiesel in it that was pumped to 180HP---which would be relatively comparable to a very strong stock petrol engine. This is why I wanted the Diesel Option in the Frontier. The 3.0 ZDI Turbodiesel has 170 HP (same as my Y2K Frontier's VG33) but has 280 Ft-Lbs of torque... In a truck, I don't need HP, I need TORQUE!

Man, that 3.0 ZDI setup would tow my trailer perfectly... and with much less drama than the VG33 in there now...

This is why I wanted the Diesel Option in the Frontier. The 3.0 ZDI Turbodiesel has 170 HP (same as my Y2K Frontier's VG33) but has 280 Ft-Lbs of torque... In a truck, I don't need HP, I need TORQUE!

Man, that 3.0 ZDI setup would tow my trailer perfectly... and with much less drama than the VG33 in there now...

I know what you mean! I have an 04 crew cab with the VG33E. It definitely is a chubby little pickup. I have been hauling loads of 500 pounds of mulch all week in hilly areas and the torque just isn't there. Hauling the Z is going to be a bit of a stretch on any hill sections.

In 2010 the truck is probably going to get a complete makeover including 4x4, exoskeleton, flatbed, an a bunch of other cool stuff.

I'm going to use the truck for disaster relief, emergency offroad truck repair (with the onboard micro sized fab shop), farm fabrication, and other misc stuff.

I'm guessing that I'll either do a turbo diesel or at least add a supercharger to the VG. TDI really sounds like a better idea to get the torque I'll need. More research is on order here for me...