HybridZ

Ordered a 10.5lb Fidanza Flywheel

cygnusx1

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from my understanding , you give them the pressure plate/ flywheel bolted up as it will bolt up to the car , you don't give them the clutch disk because since it always spins when disengaged it doesnt matter ...

i have a fidanza flywheel and stg5 clutch for my z31 , i was just going to toss it in ,but from stuff i have been reading lately ,i now plan spending the extra cash and get it balanced

yeah i was unsure if i was supposed to give the balancer my flywheel and my pressure plate casing, or just the flywheel itself.

now i know :D

My car is almost stock, so will it being 8.8 really make that much of a difference, its only a centerforce 2 clutch too, wouldnt the aluminum strip before the steel?

Possibly true if the bolt is loaded in tension. But these bolts are loaded in shear so you're relying on the join clamping friction and the shear strength of the bolt (which is always less then the tensile strength).

ya im fixing to take it all back apart again. I drove it today for only the second time total, and the tranny is making popping noises when i engage the clutch. I dont know if its teh bolts, or if its the crappy slave cylinder that needs replacing. but im definitely replaceing the grade 8.8 with 10.9. What length should i buy? I custom ground my previous bolts to 14mm length. do they sell class 10.9 in m8x1.25x14mm?

johnc already did your homework for you...

Take them out and replace them with class 12.9. McMaster-Carr has them as item number 91290A418 at $13.78 for a box of 100.

http://www.mcmaster.com.

Also, just to be anal, the bolts are only loaded in shear if they are loose. When properly tightened, the friction joint should take the shear load, and the bolts are only stressed in tension. You do want to protect for the case where the bolts are loose, or if a shock load overcomes the clamping force friction, so the 12.9 bolts are still a good idea.

For the guys in san diego marshalls (hardware store) has every

nut and bolt one could ever need for a z car. I actually tolk my fidanza flywheel and clutch kit with me to marshalls and tried diffrent length of bolts untill i found the right size.

rex

Just curious on a couple of aspects on this thread:

The dowel's pressed into the flywheel.....are these not for a shear load and the bolts there for a tension load???

With all of us obviously having a problem with using our stock flywheel bolts for the clutch, what support is Fidanza giving on this issue? Unfortunately I am currently out of the country or else I would call them myself.

I know one of the threads said Fidanza was drilling the holes deeper and tapping them however this seems like it comes with a long turnaround time anyone with experience on this??

• 1 year later...

Here ya go....

Pressure plate bolts for the Fidanza flywheel. They are a tad bit short when used with a thick lock washer but they are going to hold fine. Bolt the PP down with the stock bolts as far as they will go and then pull each one out and replace it with one of the McMaster bolts below. The McMaster bolts are not long enough to pull the PP in from fully extended.

I think Fidanza drilled shallow blind holes because they didn't want the bolts to interfere with the starter ring gear. They should supply bolts or at least a recommendation. The dowels will hold the shear forces.

McMaster Screws

1 98093A530 1 Pack Nonmarring Class 10.9 Flange Head Cap Screw, Steel, M8 Sz, 12mm L, 1.25mm Pitch, Fully Threaded

98093A530L.GIF