HybridZ

I need a Bike Rack for my 280z

JustinOlson

Does anyone have a recommendation for a bike rack for my 77 280z? My 280z is my daily driver right now and I want to take some trips this summer with it. Does anyone have any experience putting a bike rack on a s30? Thanks for any help!

Regards,

Justin

I had one custom made many years ago. Any old style rack that clamps to the drip rails will work. The problem is that the roofline is so short that long items are pretty unstable. A bike or two should be fine though. Thule 300 Foot would work on the Z drip rails.

An nice alternative would be a hatch mount rack with straps that hook to the top and bottom of the hatch. This is what I would do--> Mount a box hitch to the back of the Z and use a hitch rack. Oh and a word of advice with rear carrying bikes: Make sure the tail pipe is not blowing on your bike tires unless you like them extra crispy.

Its my daily driver and I live in oregon. I'm a outdoors person so I'm going to make something work for my mountain bike. I have some old thule racks I'm going to try. Seems that most bike racks that mount to rain gutters will work.

Justin

Look into the hitch type. It will be less destructive to the car. Mud, dirt, grease, won't be falling all over the car. When my Z was the daily driver, I carried windsurfing gear and bikes regularly on the roof rack. It usually made a mess of the car and the rails are still somewhat crushed from the clamps.

yakima or thule racks if installed right should not bang up the drip rails at all. any scuffs or scratches will probably be your fault:). had several on my cars and not a problem. i hated the trunk / hatch racks. those will scratch you car. a fairing will help alot for any roof mounted rack. i have had 8 road bikes + extra wheels on my old corsica when i used it to travel to races. no scratches to any car or bike.

jimbo

I have a Yakima rack for my Z, while functional, it looks ridiculous on such a small car. I would love to take some time in the not so distant future to build a custom rack that rides nice and low on the roof...until that time though, the yakima rack functions prefectly.

I used to have a bike rack that would go on my Z. It had 6 hooks and straps. 2 hooks that fit perfectly at the front of the hatch, 2 went to hook in the wheel wells, and 2 went under the car.

It was a generic rack made for a minivan.

It sat on the stock rear bumper and on the window. (I was using louvers at the time so it actually sat on them)

Worked great for carrying 2 mountain bikes to the local park.

My stock suspension and dead struts didn't like it though at the time.

I am now looking at building a removable roof rack for long trips.