HybridZ

280z problem - smoke + no power

tech9

Temp sensore looks ok, tried to get a replacement from MSA but the

bolt head twisted off the sensore and it wasn't even that tight when it happend.

So reused the old one.

2 of the 6 injectors are new NAPA brnad put the others could be

cleaned or replaced also since the car sopposedy sat for

2 years in a garage after the engine rebuild and the owner gave

up fixing it.

Fuel pump is new and fuel filter also.

BTW is adding oil called a leak down test?

~Z~

A leak down test puts air into the cylinder, and with its guages, shows the percentage of lost pressure.

Another part to add to the tool bin ^_^

Well I'm scheduled to get the engine rebuilt, "again", but like to

atleast know whats wrong since my race mechanic is letting me bring

my own parts for the rebuild.

Like to get her to sound more like a race car instead of the

dying semi truck she does :sour:

~Z~

tech9, your problem isn't too much fuel.

Could be stem seals or even rings as 120 isn't that high.

If you suspect the HG, which I don't think it is. They usually run rough right at startup and run smoother within a few seconds and the smoke(vapor) clears up pretty soon, unless it's really bad and then you would be loosing alot of coolant. You can also let it sit over nigh or long enough to completely cool off. Make sure there isn't pressure in the system, run it for 30- 60 seconds, turn it off and see if it built pressure.

• 3 weeks later...

WingZR0

Your Z exhibits the makings of a compromised cylinder head....the milky oil or coolant clearly tells you of your problem.....

the white plumes of Vapor exiting your tailpipe confirm it.

In the ther gentleman's case, it sounds like he may have the infamous blueish smoke that is a tell-tale sign of bad valve seals, these are located just under the camshaft area....right in the line of fire of the oil spouts in the cams itself or the external rail....

Also be sure to check the TPS for proper voltage, if it is out of range, adjust it....if still out of range, clean the electrical contacts....a wet boot receptacle will short the signal out and keep your rpms below 2500rpms.

• 1 month later...
I did get the "power" problem fixed, it was a fuel problem. old tank, old lines, etc. That is fixed, still smokes.

I have valve seals, going to replace when it gets warmer.

What did you do? Replace the tank and lines? Clean the tank and lines? If so what method did you use? I have a 77. Just starting to tinker with it. Thanks Man!

• 3 months later...

tech9,

I had a similar problem with my 280z. Started up fine, idled a bit, then would die. If I drove it before that there would be a plume of smoke following, and no power. Found Daeron's EFI bible post (http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=135748&highlight=efi+bible) and found a bad temp sensor. changed that out with a new one, ran fine since.

Check out the bible, might be able to find your problem with that.