HybridZ

Ideas for a gas powered generator...

You don't have the 12" Sch10 Stainless Steel Fabbed BBQ Grille on the right rear---you're not set untill you can grille at the jobsite!

(Arco Pipefitters/Welders at the Wilmington Refinery have a standing 'hot work permit' for their little grille on their welding trucks for 'lunchtime'!"

Tony... check out the grill that we made in welding school to help us buy more steel...

It was CNC plasma cut out(of 1/4" steel!) and then we welded it together with MIG and then flux core for the thicker stuff. I TIG'd some of the handles on. It weighed about as much as an LD28 with tranny!!!

m40654129.jpg

Just testing it out on the last day of class for the quarter to make sure it works before the customer picked it up... :wink:

And our welding "coach" working the grill...

b40654202.jpg

I would imagine a small diesel would be your best bet. They are often more robust than gasoline engines, they are more efficent, and they make more torque down low. That means you can run the engine slower than you could a gas engine -> greater reliability. If your going to be using it to generate power you might as well also let it generate shop air and all that good stuff. Sounds like a decent amount of work though. Also, cooling might be a pain.

If you were very clever you would make it modular. So that the engine was one unit, the generator was another, the air another, and so on. So you could arrange them in any order and remove things you don't want/need. But Im just taking the idea too far now. :)

So I am at the track this weekend and took this photo because i remembered this thread. It has a 3 cyl kubota diesel engine generator that feeds a 300 amp welder. This guy is out of Florida and travels to events for onsite welding.

This is a truck bed welder that he put on wheels and is driven by a golf cart electric motor.

sat07a.jpg

well if you want a small bodied hard working truck get a little cab over mitso , you know like the lawn fertalizer guys have. I had a UD 6 cylinder for a time when I had to have my own service truck. though the mistos are much smaller. if you truly are going to work the thing stick with a small med duty truck and stay away from a pick up ,buy the way the weather its a 1/2 or a 1 ton (f150 or f350 ) its all the same cab. that little mitso 4 cylinders get about 25 mpg and is short wheel base or long depending on what you buy. and will carry 4000 lbs all day. you don't need 4x4 you just want it. stay away from building your own truck. its more work than its worth. I've been down that road. just buy the equipment you need it can be written off as a business expense.