HybridZ

Chalk One Up For The RB Swap

Canadianz

Hey All,

So my brother and I just finished test fitting our RB25 into our 240, after months of rust repair. Went in like a charm and its really nice to be well on our way to completing this swap. I tossed up some pics of the mock-up as well as some clearance issues I would like a little bit of input on too. So if you guys have any advice for me I'd really appreciate it. I would also really like to thank you all for the help in this project, especially Bryan Williams And Rockie who stepped up with some sensors we desperately needed. This is the first swap my brother and I have ever done, besides a 52 willies Jeep we restored, so its kind of a big deal as he's only 18 and I am 21. To this point it has taken us about 4 months and counting. We hope to make it to Z Fest in Ontario for any of you Canadians, see you there !

ENJOY !

Heres the specs

R33 RB25DET

Hot tanked and polished head, with redone valves

Stock Head Gasket

ARP Head Studs

Calico coated ACL race bearings

RB20 rear sump oil pan and pick up

Rick Wong moter mounts with Supra Isolators

Chinese Top mount header w/ 40mm wastegate

Custom T3/T4 50 a/r turbo with machined and ported housings

Ebay Intercooler

90mm TB

Ku engineering Intake

Stock ECU and manual Boost Controller

Aeromotive Fuel Reg

BBK external High volume pump w/ 3/8ths line

Sumped Gas tank

Carbon Kevlar Clutch

Lightened Flywheel

AND Here are some pics !

The Recipient

n72604599_32472401_9354.jpg

Before Body Work :-( Please note undercoating and Passenger side Fender

n72604599_33162886_7874.jpg

After oh say at least 100 man hours in welding, sand blasting and swearing, we patched up the interior and engine bay, this is before we primered it all. Nothing is worse than welding on that damn undercoat. . .

n72604599_33936019_4964.jpg

Now the Fun stuff . . .

Installing the head and Torquing it all down. . .

n72604599_33936020_5193.jpg

In she Goes !

n72604599_33935830_2944.jpg

And In !

n72604599_33935832_3454.jpg

Problems . . . Any ideas if this is safe ? The hot side of our turbo is really really close to the valve covers. . this is just a mock up so there might be a wisker more room left to play in there . . .

n72604599_33935834_3944.jpg

Then on the intake side similar problem... we may shift the engine orientation or take a scoop out of the fender. . not 100% yet .. any ideas ?

n72604599_33935835_4183.jpg

Finally a close up of the Turbo... she's a doozy, don't mind the chinese housings, they have been ported and the guts are brand new from Garrett, with the littler serial plate etc... we got this all done at a local place we highly recommend.

n72604599_33935833_3699.jpg

Thanks for looking ! Any Advice or problems you guys see, we'd love to have input. We are both pretty proud as we have done all the work ourself other than the actual machining of the engine itself.

Cheers

Chris and Rob Crombie

Congrats man... nice... I still in hold with mine, I have the same rust problem, but I found a shop to do chemical blasting on the car, fix the rusted sections and paint it... I need to get home and finish that thing :fmad:....

again nice car, enjoy...

I would personally go with a smaller throttle body. The reason being that with that big of a throttle plate, it's going to be almost on/off situation as, as soon as you open the plate, you already have a huge amount of air going in and then, from half throttle to wide open there wont be much of a difference as your engine is already gulping all the air it need and can't use more than a certain amount. It's going to be a pain on the street IMHO.

Just my $0,02. If you do decide to keep the big throttle and need a MAF to go with it, let me know, I have one as I was going that route too but, after discussing the subject with other members here on HZ, I changed my mind. I'm from Montéal so, shipping won't be much.

Hey guys, thanks for the input, I think the TB should be fine, there are alot of guys running q45 throttle bodies on the RB's and even SR's and they are 90mm's. Only time will tell I guess. As for the Manifold its a KU Engineering model from Thailand, they also made the TB, I got a decent deal on the combo and the fit is really nice too. We are planning on getting a blanket and a some wrap for the turbo and down pipe to keep er a litter cooler, we'll see. Ill should have some pics of the Rad and intercooler we are using too soon, I think I havea pic of the inside of the Intake too it has indivudual trumpets inside for each runner that should work nicely.

Thanks for the support guys !

Yeah but, most of the people (me included, before I had this discussion with veteran members) think that BIGGER IS ALWAYS BETTER.

The engine will run but, it can't use all of the air that massive plate can allow in there.

90mm is overkill even for a small block...

Lets say that for 50% plate opening on my stock 75mm throttle I'm at 50% of what the engine can use, with the 90mm plate you'll be at 80 or so % of the engine's capacity thus, anything above half throttle will be useless.

Plus, as soon as you crack that plate open, you already have way more air going in than the stock one, that's why I say your throttle will become like a switch. For a drag car, it might be nice but, for a street driven car, you'll leave every stop light burning the rubbers or coughing.

Anyways, like I said, if you're looking for a Q45 MAF, let me know I have one for sale.:cheers:

That Swain Coating stuff looks pretty attractive, I might look into it this winter, do any of you have much experience with header wrap or turbo socks ? Were on a bit of a deadline as we both go back to school in the fall so we want to get it done. Oh and here is a picture of the inside of the intake.

n72604599_33935836_4421.jpg

• 2 months later...

Some more progress, painted up the engine bay and mocked up the intercooler and rad setup.

n72604599_34809279_7977.jpg

A side view of the Cleaned up engine bay

n72604599_34809282_8841.jpg

Our Brand New SS 3inch turbo back,with a resonator and muffler tig welded, Bling Bling :P

n72604599_34809283_9134.jpg

Dash Progress, Autometer speedo, tach, Oil pressure, water temp and boost. The red switch will be an ignition kill and the little silver knob is a manual boost controller. Does any one know if this would mess up boost control ? In the installation guide it is supposed to go very close to the turbo, will the extra hose mess things up ?

n72604599_34809277_7217.jpg

Any how enjoy,

hopefully we can get more work done soon

Cheers

Chris and Rob Crombie

• 5 weeks later...
Some more progress, painted up the engine bay and mocked up the intercooler and rad setup.

n72604599_34809279_7977.jpg

A side view of the Cleaned up engine bay

n72604599_34809282_8841.jpg

Our Brand New SS 3inch turbo back,with a resonator and muffler tig welded, Bling Bling :P

n72604599_34809283_9134.jpg

Dash Progress, Autometer speedo, tach, Oil pressure, water temp and boost. The red switch will be an ignition kill and the little silver knob is a manual boost controller. Does any one know if this would mess up boost control ? In the installation guide it is supposed to go very close to the turbo, will the extra hose mess things up ?

n72604599_34809277_7217.jpg

Any how enjoy,

hopefully we can get more work done soon

Cheers

Chris and Rob Crombie

Car looks great. On the subject of the boost controller, you may end up with boost spike due to the time delay of the air making the round trip through the boost controller. I have seen worse, though, so don't sweat it unless you notice a problem.

Hey Rob & Chris,

You guys are doing an amazing job!!! Car is looking real nice. Lots of talk around town about it. The project is becoming well known

Sorry I havent been around in a while, been busy with Adam's Sentra, the Drift car & my own RB26 project.

Hope to catch up with you guys soon

Your absolutely right Evan, Im going to have to do something about the turbo, the manifold i have is a cheap one so I figure Ill cut the turbo flange off, reposition and get my buddy to Tig weld it up.

Its been really busy as of late with school and all so I haven't really had much time to do anything really, hopefully we can get it finished up over Christmas. We are also getting and r200 with the CLSD in a few weeks so Ill have to get a hold of you Jeff for the mustache bar. Any how Ill post some new pics and get a decent update on here soon.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, so with school and all its been pretty busy, although we have managed to get some work done on the weekends, although most of the work has been spent on figuring out the wiring harness/ fixing the old Z harness, as well as getting some custom fittings for the turbo oil lines, basically little things overall.

We cut the manifold up and welded the flange back on so that the turbo would sit just a little farther away from the valve cover. New lines were also bent up and covered in some heat shielding sleeve that we got from a local hydraulic store

n509484956_190240_2011.jpg

We also fitted some new large diameter (3/4" I think) oil drain lines for both the head and the turbo, they're hydraulic lines so they're meant to withstand pretty high temperature, and then just to be sure we covered them in the heat wrap (its like $2.50 a foot so we used it liberally)

It will be wired on when we're finished, the zip ties are just there to get an idea for how everything should be. Also, the maf looks close to the headers but its just the way its sitting right now, and it will eventually be farther up front.

n509484956_190241_8394.jpg

overall though the car doesnt look like too much has been done, there was alot of time spent into the wiring harness which still has to be finished. Here's where the car is at

n509484956_190230_9333.jpg

so there's still a lot to be done, but its coming!

-Rob