HybridZ

How to ship airbags?

heavy85

I'm finally starting to part out the Z28 and am wondering if anyone knows what how to ship the airbags? On e-bay there is always a 'hazardous material' surcharge but do I just tell the UPS man that it's an airbag and he know what to do? I'm hoping someone before me has some experience.

Thanks

Cameron

honesty?

just ship it.

i worked for UPS...ship it through a UPS store...

they wont ask questions. usually they ask if the contents are flammable or anything else....

it wont harm a thing.

I'm sorry but I really disagree with this. An airbag can be extremely dangerous if not handled correctly and you are putting it in the hands of a person who knows how to pack pictures and toys which most likely are teenagers. Bubble wrap, paper, boxes, carpet, popcorn= static electricity and I know that static electricity can cause a spark which can deploy a airbag. Mechanics go through training on how to work on these and they are very dangerous. You could be held liable if you decide to not tell them, which could include long periods of jail time and no Z time.

when i worked as a dealer tech we used to blow them off -great fun.sometimes they will trigger the air bag light if internal resistance is out of spec.that means get a new 1 and 1 for me to blow up.there is a shorting bar in the connector shell to reduce the possability of static charge lighting it off.usually shipped fed-ex.with lots of markings on the package.

like i said...go to the UPS store, request a non-static bag, put it in that.

box it up with penuts, bubble rap in a small box, then double box it with another bigger box.

it will be fine.

we shipped $1000 paintings like this, 100% insured...there is NOTHING wrong with it.

you'd be surprised what is actually shipped thats not really supposed to be shipped.

From http://www.hazmat-news.com

FAA Proposes $84,000 Penalty Against Texas Company for Hazmat Violations

The Federal Aviation Administration, Southern Region, has

proposed to assess a $84,000 civil penalty against Advanced

Automotive Interior Design of Richardson, Tex., for allegedly

violating Department of Transportation hazardous materials

regulations.

FAA alleges that Advanced Automotive Interior Design improperly

offered a fiberboard box containing 10 air bag modules to Federal

Express for transportation by air. Automotive air bag modules are

classified as hazardous materials. Ground handling employees at

the FedEx sort facility in Gadsden, Ala., discovered the shipment.

Advanced Automotive Interior Design offered the hazardous

materials for transportation when they were not packaged,

labeled, marked, classed, described, documented, or in condition

for shipment as required by regulations. Advanced Automotive

Interior Design also failed to ensure employees were trained to

properly package and handle hazardous materials, and did not

make available at all times the required emergency response

information.

Advanced Automotive Interior Design has 30 days from receipt of

the FAA notice to submit a reply to the agency. This

announcement is made in accordance with the FAA’s practice of

releasing information to the public on newly issued enforcement

actions involving penalties of $50,000 or more.

Now would you like to make a shipment correctly for say....$50 bucks??

Or go into a UPS store and ship the FAA a check for $85,000?

the UPS store would be held liable, not you...if they dont ask you...like we did for the 5 months that i worked there...

like i said- people ship hazordous things all the time, you would be surprised...and a general person just like you or me is not going to be throwing up a red flag when we ship a box.

did you know that perfume is FAA regulated HAZORDOUS material??? thats right, perfume. you arent supposed to ship it without proper identifacation. but im willing to bet you or your wife has shipped out perfume before or something like that...

just like i said before, you'd be surprised....

This is no joke. Shipping a hazardous material without proper certification is a FELONY.

- Greg -

We ship UPS, FedEx, and international freight everyday at work. I was called on the carpet by UPS because we attempted to ship "hazardous material" without the proper credentials. There was no hasmat, we simply re-used a box that originally contained flares and still had the markings on the outside of the box! They were not amused that the box contained a part for a boat and was shipped to me in the very same box by UPS. I merely returned it to our customer in the same box he shipped it to me in!

chris

I work at a UPS store. And just yesterday I had two men come in to ship out a leaf blower. The father could not speak any english. The son could understand me but not speak english very well. To make a long story short I asked them 4 times if there was any gas or oil in the leaf blower. Each time they said no, that they had cleaned it out. I explained to them that it is a FELONY to send out items with gasoline still inside they tank. They said it was cleaned out and nothing inside.

They paid and left. I took the package to the back room to put in a plastic bag because that is UPS POLICY TO WRAP UP ANY TYPE OF ITEM THAT HAS USED GAS BUT IS EMPTY AND CLEANED OUT. Now...I preceded to pull the leaf blower out of the open box. Guess what? Close to ONE GALLON of gasoline was still inside the tank. Not only did these people put my life and hundreds of others in danger but after being asked 4 times and explained it is a felony to ship out this kind of stuff they ignored me. Personally these people should be put in jail for a good amount of time and fined thoroughly.

Im simply astounded how someone can not only knowingly break the law, but more importantly knowingly endanger the life of an innocent person carrying an improperly certified package. You should be ashamed of yourself.

- Greg -

I totally agree with this comment. It makes me ashamed that people can put others lives in danger just to save themselves from taking a couple minutes out of there lives to make sure a package is sent correctly.

Truthfully this thread has gone way further then it should have. This question could have been answered easily and thoroughly but it hasn't. I'm hoping an administrator will put in the correct input needed to answer the question and lock this thread as soon as possible.

Also lastly I will include this simple yet explaining Icon.-:windows:

I would not knowingly ever put someone elses life in danger. And policy is policy. If it's illegal, don't ship it or ship it legally with the proper submissions. I am sure there is a way to ship them legally. Do some more research.

OTOH, not trying to make light of the shipping matter but, don't most of us drive around with a loaded air bag in front and maybe even besides us every day?

Just a little fun fact. A airbag is deployed at over 400mph. We took airbags out in a parking lot, sent a charge to them, and sent empty bottles over 50 yards in the air. Its kinda intimidating to think in a wreck an airbag is coming at your face at over 400 mph, not to mention the amount of speed your face is heading towards the airbag.