HybridZ

Varying Fuel Press

dapiper

My fuel press will not stay put. Thought it was set at 40 psi, but at 45 so lowered it. Then low at 35 after running. Incr to 40 and next day 45 when cold. What gives?

Using Bosche pump which needs repl since just discovered flow is off 30%. Anyone have a -044? Also using Aeromotive reg, fuel rail and RC 550 inj.

Aeromotive Regulator.

Disassemble, clean, reassemble, monitor.

They have a reputation of drifting with swarf, cleaning usually stops the issue. Make sure testing of pressure is done in similar conditions each time, just to rule out environmental differences. Might be pump, but I'd check reg first.

Yeah low 5 psi when hot. Guess I'll set it hot. Can you take it apart without sproing.....lost parts? what is swarf?

Getting Bosche -044 tonight. Wow lot's of different prices on Ebay down to $125 but no response via email or telephone so paying $100 more for piece of mind.

Dave,

Yeah they come apart really easily once the 4 allen screws are removed. There is really nothing inside it but the spring check ball and rubber diaphram. The only advice I can give is to watch ripping the diaphram. Obvious, I know.

As for swarf, ya got me! Sounds like maybe the big guy invented it. Tony? :mrgreen:

Joe

• 3 weeks later...
Heh, Heh, He said, "Swarf".

No one has mentioned making sure your fuel lines and filter are not partially clogged. Debris moving around in the filter can make pressure unstable. Our cars are getting old and many of the fuel tanks are "fuzzy" inside.

You can get rebuild kits from Aeromotive, also, that include a new diaphragm and all seals.

There aren't too many things that could cause fuel pressure variations.

Web definitions for Swarf

Swarf is the debris or waste resulting from metalworking operations. It consists of shavings and chippings of metal. It can usually be recycled and this is the preferred method of disposal due to the environmental concerns regarding potentional contamination with cutting fluid or tramp oil. The ideal way to remove these liquids is by the use of a centrifuge which will separate out any liquids allowing them to be collected for further treatment.

there ya go :)