HybridZ

Black Light LED's to illuminate gauge whites.

cygnusx1

Has anyone ever tested stock S30 gauges to see if the numbers and needles light up with black light? I was thinking of installing some black light LED's to shine at each gauge. I think it would look amazing if the white print would reflect the light back. You could probably adapt one of the kits for PC cases.

The needles will light up. I have ultra bright LEDs in my gauges from behind and the blue light makes the orange needles glow like neon. It's very much like a black light effect. I don't have the white overlays though. I would like to get some eventually though.

United States Patent 20040189483

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER FLOOD LIGHTING UTILIZING ULTRAVIOLET LED

I am going to buy a UV LED light to test the gauges....if they glow, it's going to be a nice upgrade from the factory gauge lighting.

I am interested too. I installed the Speedhut EL Gauges in my 240Z and the dials light up great but you can't see the needles at night. I thought about pulling the needles and painting them with glow in the dark paint but I am not sure if this would work and if it did, how long the glow in the dark paint would last.

Ebay? selling black light kits for gauges? Hmm. Never saw one. Anyhow, I can't get sued for patent infringment unless I sell something. I am only going to experiment for my own use. That is perfectly legal.

Update:

I ordered 10 UV LED's with a 30degree light pattern. Once I figure out how to power them, I plan on mounting them at the base of each gauge pocket pointing up at the faces at about a 45-60 degree angle.

Sorry, I didnt patent the idea. I just linked to a patent that I found. If you need info about patenting something, I can help you with that also. I do a fair amount of patent work through my engineering job.

I was playing with a black light at work and then it hit me. All the needles and the printed numbers in the stock Z gauges MIGHT be able to reflect some visible spectrums of UV (black light). If so, it would be a very nice looking dash illumination. As far as damage to your eyes from UV. I believe that comes from staring directly into a powerful black light for extended periods of time. Reflected UV is visible light which is not harmful...I think. Any physicists or eye doctors on the board?

http://wolfstone.halloweenhost.com/Lighting/bltled_BlackLightLED.html#Safety

"As you state, indirect usage - illuminating fluorescent materials - is the correct and safe usage. In such cases, the UV is converted to visible light and any reflected UV is diffused and greatly diminished in intensity."

Myth BUSTED!

I got the UV LED lights and hooked two of them up to a 9v battery. They are much brighter than I thought and can nicely illuminate the gauges in a flood of purple blue light. Unfortunately, the white ink that Nissan used on the gauges has no flourescent value at all and just remains dim and dull. The only thing that really lit up brightly was the HybridZ patch on the dashboard. It was pretty cool walking around the garage and house trying to find anything flourescent. I found that in general, any white cloth will light up. Any white labels, or flourescent labels like the orange and yellow grocery store price stickers reflect UV like a beacon. Oh well. Someone with white faced gauges might want to try this out.

yes. They sell this at craft stores... I know because my Design I project was a ping pong-golf ball sorter, which happened to have 2 rows of UV cold cathode tubes powered by a small 12v battery. We painted everything we could with flourescent markers and flourescent paint...

This could have promising results for the z dash.

With flourescent ink on the gauges the UV light would look extremely nice. Unfortunately, I am too darn lazy to take apart all my gauges and trace the lines with ink. If I take apart all the gauges to do that, I would just go with the electroluminescent faces. If you have the patience and the time, I would love to see the result. Here is a link to the UV LED's.

http://www.bgmicro.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=11721

You can power them up in parallel groups of "three in series" with 12volts.