HybridZ

Intercooler too close to radiator? (Pics)

hughdogz

I'm fabbing up the tubes for the IC on my 280ZX. Now that I have it in place I'm wondering if the radiator's air flow is going to suffer considerably.

The plan is to use 2.25" aluminized tubing. 4.5" radius mandrel u-bends routing through the headlight buckets using the factory holes and having to cut through the headlight brackets...

It is hard to get a pic of this, but there is 2" between the IC and radiator, 2" of gap above the IC and 4" below.

I'm hoping no one sees any glaring problems before I start cutting...:mrgreen:

Thanks for looking!

FMIC_front1.JPG

FMIC_front2.JPG

Fitting the intake around the radiator was close, but getting the 3" intake pipe around the IC (on the other side of the radiator core support) will be a bigger challenge.

intake_clearance.JPG

seems fine to me!

With some nice sealed ducting there shouldnt be any reason why you would have heating problems.

Ducting is important to prevent the air just hitting the intercooler and going "around" and going through the holes on the radiator support and under/below the car. this would allow the air to flow through the intercooler and keep the radiator cool.

By the way many many many people have a setup almost identical to yours.. and dont have any iissues.

Good work so far!

Thanks for the vote of confidence!! I knew I could count on you guys. :icon14:

I appreciate the comments about ducting and sealing. I'm definately going to seal it up tight.

I can't believe the IC is finally being installed after YEARS of it just sitting in the garage!:wc::icon2::flamedevi

Yeah should work fine.. I have mine mounted the same way.. Although.. looking at your radiator and how its mounted.. I see its a aluminum radiator.. You might want to stick some rubber bushings in there were the Radiator mounts to the support. Aluminum can crack very easily if not isolated. Just my .02.. Looking great though man!!