HybridZ

Mileage engine swap question.

battlemac

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I heard that, but its worth a shot? Anyone know about those E300 Benz? Are they any good? What other choices do I have in the diesel engines? Is the TDI motor out of a VW Golf any good? I read those cars make like 100hp, but 180 or so in tq. The stock hp and tq aren't that bad, but since it has a turbo, an upgrade to them shouldn't be that hard. This would be the perfect motor for me as power can me had and mpg is at around 40, but alas it a fwd motor. Anyone know if you can hook it up a rwd transmission?

Hmm the F20C also sounds good, what was the MPG of that car and is it easy or cheap for find? Is the F22C any better? I understand the rev-line went down from 9k to 8k, but does that equate to better performance and mpg? Or isthe higher reving 2l motor better? Also what about the transmission, was there any improvement or changes made when they went with the 2.2l?

Thank you.

The F20C and F22C both get sub 30mpg in the S2000 on highway. New ones are rated at 20/26. Now, in a lighter car that would go up, but I think you'd still be hard pressed to see 35mpg out of it ever.

There were some changes to the transmission, but I can't remember exactly what and when, but it was a reliability change, something that should be doable to fix on your own I'd imagine if you went with an earlier motor.

Can the F20C bolt up to the F22C tranny? Which is cheaper/easier to purchase?

I was reading up on the VQ25HR and that one seems almost perfect seeing how the car makes like 225hp about 190 ft-tq while seeing something about 37mpg in mixed driving and that in the new Skyline V36(G35). Only issue is the fact that Nissan never released that motor in North America for the G35 and I don't know if it meets California emission(I would assume yes since the VQ30, VQ35, and VQ40 are street legal). Any ideas?

Actually the VQ35HR DOES come in the USA. I think it is in the G35, but I know for sure it's in the 07 350Z.

I'd imagine the F22C and F20C are identical when it comes to tranny compatibility. The two motors are only mildly different because honda wanted more torque out of the motor, so they increased the displacement slightly. The blocks are identical to my knowledge.

Oh know I know the VQ35HR comes in the USA in the G35 sedan and 350Z(soon to be 370Z form what I read). I was referring to the VQ25HR that is the base engine Japanese Skyline V36(G35). I wish the VQ35HR was able to achieve MPG close to that. Last I heard it got something like 25mpg(highway) in the G35 and I would assume more in the 350Z.

Will the high rpm range(9k redline) of the F20C be an issue when trying to speed and have fun in the curves? Or is the F22C better as it has 8k redline? Would the tq be an issue since it is low?

The extra torque is minimal between the F20C and F22C, If you go F22C expect to pay more as well because there newer motors

The F Series transmission's are pretty low geared. I don't think you'd have a problem

The peak torque isn't much better, but it's got a much broader torque band giving you more usable power. Imho, if you're gonna be on mountain roads just having fun then you want as large of a torque range as you can get. Sure high RPMs are fun and all, but having a huge torque range means less shifting and more enjoyment of the drive.

Turbo 4 cylinders have loads of torque, just gonna stay out of the low RPM in wich you encounter lag. Shouldn't be a problem unless your gearing is too high.

A 240Z is smog exempt, why not just use a KA24 turbo or SR20DET?

See I would love to do SR20det swap, but the SR20DET is not legal in California, and only the FWD SR20 is legal. I think the same goes with the ca18det or so the 240SX guys are telling me.

He's in CA and trying to stay legit, that's really really hard honestly.

If you really want to know about it, go read the smog related threads, there's truckloads of information. But the short answer is that NO car is SMOG exempt, just TEST exempt. Pre test cars still need to be 100% legal, there's just no testing to make sure of it. CA smog isn't as much about test numbers as it is inspection. Most of their work revolves around looking for all of the smog equipment on the ENGINE THAT'S SUPPOSED TO BE IN THAT CAR.

And the side pipes thing... It's not legal if they're over a certain dB limit, regardless of year.

I never said that.

What I'm saying is that just because it doesn't have to be inspected doesn't mean you can legally change things. If you ever get pulled over and you have a cop that knows what he's looking for (which is VERY common here in the bay area) you get a fix it ticket that's really hard to get around, unless you can swap your motor back in a matter of days, and the cop also has the right to take your vehicle away without question, send it to the impound with no hope of you getting it back before they crush it.